Religious Truths

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/27/2019 12:23 pm  #2181

Re: Scripture of the Day

COMBINATION OF [1] THE SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY AND [2]  MANY DO NOT RECOGNIZE THEY ARE IN A PARADIGM RUT.     With the Scripture of the Day first. 

[1]  SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY [VOL. 7B]

Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.  13  Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.  14  Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.  15  Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.  16  Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.   1 Timothy 4:12 – 16,  [authorized King James Bible; AV]

Here the Apostle Paul was giving instruction and admonition to the young disciple Timothy on how to conduct his spiritual activity in behalf of the early Christian genuine followers of Jesus (Yeshua), the Son of Almighty God (YHWH).  We like Timothy and Ezra must meditate and prepare to carry on the Lord’s work as emphasized at Ezra 7:10, [AV] “For Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the law of the LORD, and to do it, and to teach in Israel statutes and judgments.”  And as 1 Corinthians 2:4 – 5, states, [AV] “And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:  5  That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.”   

[2]  MANY DO NOT RECOGNIZE THEY ARE IN A PARADIGM RUT:

Let's look at paradigm ruts and how one scientist burst out of it and made some of the greatest math contributions of all times and then look at some Bible truths.

One hundred years ago, Albert Einstein was in the midst of an extraordinary run of paradigm-busting theories. In six months, he published five that would change dramatically what we thought we knew about the universe.    Einstein's accomplishments were reviewed recently by Ronald Kotulak, science writer for the Chicago Tribune, in a special feature. In it, he recounted Einstein's papers of 1905:  .

March: Light exists as waves and particles . April: Molecules can be measured.  May: All matter is .composed of atoms . June: Time and space are not constant.   . September: Matter can be converted into energy, E - mc2.

It was an amazing leap of thought beyond the Newtonian paradigm. How did he do it? According to a quote from Kotulak's article, Einstein said: "I keep asking qllestions that only children ask. They learn how to stop asking them in their schooling. I continue to ask them."    Also, he was not bound by the existing paradigms of the famous physicists of the time. He was a nobody, a patent clerk, and had nothing to lose by thinking freely. He had no reputation to protect.   We have touched on similar themes from time to time in this column, noting that paradigm busters typically arrive at solutions by asking simple, basic questions and they are often successful because they are new to the job and do not have the baggage of the existing paradigm.

Now let's consider the case of Jesus (Yeshua) Christ the beloved only begotten Son of God and how he is actually subordinate to his Father (YHWH) and not equal to him and/or him as so many believe due to being stuck in a paradigm rut of creedal beliefs instead of Bible truths.   At Matthew 28:18 the scripture testifies to the fact that his Father (YHWH) gave all authority to him, "And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me." (Revised Standard Version; RSV) and this in keeping with 1 Corinthians 11:3, "But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a woman is her husband, and the head of Christ is God." (RSV).   Of course this was authority over all except his Father, Almighty God (YHWH) per 1 Corinthians 15:27, ""For God has put all things in subjection under his feet." But when it says, "All things are put in subjection under him," it is plain that he is excepted who put all things under him." (RSV); and 1 Timothy 2:5, "For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus," (RSV)

Now if he has been made mediator between man and God (YHWH) and all authority has been given him, his shed blood can definitely save.   So in this case, a subordinate does have the authority.   But let's look into this a little further.   Jesus (Yeshua) identifies himself as the one "sent" by a superior, he did not come of his own accord per Jesus' (Yeshua's) own testimony at John 8:14-16, "Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go. 15 Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man. 16 And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me." And John 8:28-29, "Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things. 29 And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.", and John 8:42, "Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. " (Authorized King James Bible; AV).   This superior is identified as "Father" and "God" per John 8:54, " Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God: " (AV).  Is not the sender The superior of the one sent?   Let's look at John 13:16 where Jesus' (Yeshua) testifies to, " Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him." (AV); and John 14:28, "Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I." (AV).

Jesus (Yeshua)does nothing of his "own initiative" and  he can only speak what he was "taught" by the Father as he testified to at John 8:28, "Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things" (AV).

Jesus (Yeshua) sought not his own glory, but God's and "keeps His word" as he testified to at John 8:49-54," Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me. 50 And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth. 51 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. 52 Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death. 53 Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself? 54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God:" (AV).    Of course this could NOT be said of Almighty God (YHWH) , his Father clearly showing the following facts:

Jesus (Yeshua) Christ  --  The Son of Almighty God (YHWH).

Almighty God (YHWH) --  The Father of Jesus (Yeshua).

So why do the Jews try to kill him?   Probably for the same reason
that they stoned Stephen.   Does this mean that Stephen was claiming
equality with God?  Let us look at the context even more closely:

Jesus (Yeshua) says they will die at John 8:24, "I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins." (AV).

Jesus (Yeshua) says they are killers at John 8:36-40, "If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. 37 I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you.   38 I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father. 39 They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham. 40 But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham." (AV).

Jesus (Yeshua) says their Father is not God at John 8:41, "Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God. " (AV).

Jesus (Yeshua) says their Father is Satan at John 8:44, "Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it." (AV).

Jesus (Yeshua) says he is above Abraham At John 8:53-58, "Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself? 54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God: 55 Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad. 57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? 58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am." (AV).

Says A Rabbinic Anthology, "So great is the [merit] of Abraham that he can atone for all the vanities committed and lies uttered by Israel in this world." (London, 1938, C. Montefiore and H. Loewe, p. 676).

It was only after all this, and after FIVE "I AM's" at John 8:12 & 18 & 24 & 28 & 53, "12-Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.," And "18-I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me.,"  & "24-  I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.," and "28- Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.," and "58- Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. " (AV); that they tried to stone him as recorded at John 8:59, "Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.," (AV).  The Jews definitely did not understand the 'I AM' to mean that he was saying he was Almighty God (YHWH), they were upset at him for elevating himself above Abraham, and this is only heightened by the fact that he was hurling the above rebukes at them, simply put.

Now let's look at Philippians 2:7 which seems clear enough, " but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men" (Revised Standard Version; RSV); however many do NOT understand, due to being in a paradigm rut, that all this verse refers to is that Jesus (Yeshua) Christ gave up his heavenly forum and permitted his Father, God (YHWH) to put his life force into a virgin women on earth as recorded at Matthew 1:18-25, "Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child of the Holy Spirit; 19 and her husband Joseph, being a just man and unwilling to put her to shame, resolved to divorce her quietly. 20 But as he considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit; 21 she will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins." 22 All this took place to fulfil what the Lord had spoken by the prophet: 23 "Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and his name shall be called Emmanuel" (which means, God with us). 24 When Joseph woke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him; he took his wife, 25 but knew her not until she had borne a son; and he called his name Jesus." (RSV).   Strangely this fact from the Bible was even copied by Muhammad into the Quran, Sura 3:47, "She said, "My Lord, how can I have a son, when no man has touched me?" He said, "GOD thus creates whatever He wills. To have anything done, He simply says to it, `Be,' and it is." (the Quran).

LEARN MORE ABOUT THE BIBLE AND RELIGION - BOTH TRUE AND FALSE - AT  WWW.JW.ORG

5/30/2019 12:20 pm  #2182

COMBINATION OF [1]  THE SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY AND  [2]  ISLAMIC HYPOCRISY AT A GLANCE.   With the Scripture of the Day first.

[1]  SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY [VOL. 8B]

And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.   John 17:3  [authorized King James Bible; AV]
But we must meditate on Almighty God (YHWH) words and guidance for mankind and be per Joshua 1:7 – 9, [AV] “Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest. 8  This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. 9  Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.”  And we must acknowledge his leadership as Revelation 4:11, [AV] “Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.”

[2]  ISLAMIC HYPOCRISY AT A GLANCE

THE IRRATIONAL REACTION TO TRUTH:

Members of Islam went irrationally insane over Pope Benedict XVI made remarks on 09/14/2006.    He quoted Emperor Manual II Paleologos of the Byzantine Empire on Islam.    As the International Hearld Tribune said, <<" Nothing could be further removed from the Constantinople of 1400. Manuel II and his predecessors had dedicated their lives to a battle they knew they must lose. Islam was on the offensive. The emperor was under siege, humiliated by Muslims and Roman Christians alike. He was at war, which is not conducive to trusting one's own reason, or the adversary's. So the real question is why the pope felt such cultural proximity with an emperor under siege, at war, humiliated, and on the losing side of history. [source - Erwan Lagadec International Herald Tribune, Published: September 24, 2006].

Clearly something was wrong here, Islam bills itself as a religion of peace, but Emperor Manual II Paleologos of the Byzantine Empire on Islam was dealing with the reality that Islam was not a religion of peace.    Islam was taking his empire by force and forcing all in areas it stole to convert by use of the proverbial sword and/or leave their own land which members of Islam stole.   Of course, members of Islam do not want to hear these facts, i.e., that they stole the land of the Byzantine Empire and forced all in Jihad to convert at the edge of the sword or leave, but truth should be made known even if it is by the leader of another group which also has committed many wrongs in the name of religion - its really the kettle calling the pot black situation.[reference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia].

As the Wikipedia encyclopedia said, <<"The Pope Benedict XVI Islam controversy arose from a lecture delivered on 12 September 2006 by Pope Benedict XVI at the University of Regensburg in Germany. The pope had previously served as professor of theology at the university, and his lecture was entitled "Faith, Reason and the University - Memories and Reflections".
The lecture received much condemnation and praise from political and religious authorities. Many Islamic politicians and religious leaders registered their protest against what they said was an insulting mischaracterization of Islam, contained in the quotation by the pope of the following passage:
"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."

The passage originally appeared in the "Dialogue Held With A Certain Persian, the Worthy Mouterizes, in Anakara of Galatia"[3], written in 1391 as an expression of the views of the Byzantine emperor Manuel II Paleologus on such issues as forced conversion, holy war, and the relationship between faith and reason. [source - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia].

Also, members of Islam incorrectly blame the Catholic church for the Crusades, but conveniently overlook the fact that they, members of Islam actually lit the fuse for the Crusades, i.e., they conveniently ignore cause and effect[reference - Islam Does Not Know Difference Between Cause and Effect or Result: by Iris the Preacher]

Obviously Islam does NOT want the truth known per John 8:32, "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (Authorized King James Bible; AV).  Their members went irrational insane over the Pope's quote and demanded apologies.   As the Telegraph noted, <<" But there was, of course. If the Pope had stuck to quoting Plato (which he did) to illustrate his point, he wouldn't now be in the position of, as the Muslim News put it, alienating a billion Muslims. His mistake was to cite a series of dialogues between a learned Byzantine emperor and a scholarly Persian Muslim about the truth of their respective religions, which was probably written while Constantinople was being besieged by the Turks. The emperor in question, Manuel II Paleologus, referred during the seventh dialogue to the Koran's teachings about spreading the faith by the sword. And this, said the emperor, could not come from God because violence was the opposite of reason, and God himself cannot act contrary to reason.">>.   Yet all that was said was true, Islam stole the lands and subjects of the Byzantine Empire and has never returned them, this is just plain wicked.

HYPOCRISY OF ISLAM:

Whereas, many in Islam went irrationally insane to the extent of even killing a priest over the Pope's quote of a Byzantine Emperor who was having his empire and subjects stolen from him by wicked members of Islam, they hypocritically remained absolutely silent when an Islamic cleric, Imam Abu Hamza al-Masri said, <<""Killing of the Kafir [an Islamic religious term usually rendered into English as "infidel"] for any reason you can say it is OK, even if there is no reason for it." He called on his followers to poison, ambush and kill non-believers and added: "You must have a stand with your heart, with your tongue, with your money, with your hand, with your sword, with your Kalashnikov. Don't ask shall I do this, just do it." [source - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia].

No mass outcry by Islam over this call for violence as over the Pope's simple quote of a Byzantine Emperor who was having all that was his stolen from him by members of Islam, yet this Imam's statements were a call for murder.   He even went on to call for the murder of merchants in the spirits business as follows, <<"Of licensors for alcohol sellers he said: "Make sure that the person who gave him the licence for that wine shop doesn't exist any more on the Earth. Finish him up. Give him dawa (inviting non-Muslims to accept the truth of Islam). If he doesn't respect dawa, kill him."  [source - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia].">>, a clear showing of none respect for the basic human right of freedom of conscience, and the rights of others.   <<"He suggested that people coined the term suicide attack to put others off it. "It is not called suicide - this is called shahada, martyring, because if the only way to hurt the enemies of Islam except by taking your life for that, then it is allowed," adding: "The person who hinders Allah's rule, this man must be eliminated"."[source - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia].>>.

Very few members of Islam protested what this Islamic Cleric said which was both criminal and wicked and we saw zero irrational insane protest over it.   Even when he went on trial, no protest against his wickedness by members of Islam.   To wit, <<"In January 2006 while on trial, he accused the Jewish people of being "blasphemous, treacherous and dirty" and explained that this was "why Hitler was sent into the world". He also called for "a world dominated by a caliph, sitting in the White House". Whilst under cross-examination Hamza claimed the Jews control the Foreign Office, the media and the money supply in Britain and the USA. [source - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia].>>.

Did this very inflammatory diatribe bring Islamic protest, NO.   So we can see from this contrast of what the Pope said which was just a quote with the wicked inflammatory diatribe and the reactions to both that members of Islam are definitely hypocritical in that they reacted with  irrational insane vigor to just a quote by the Pope, yet did not react forcefully to a very inflammatory well publicized wicked diatribe of one of their own.   Speaks volumes with respect their false claim that Islam is a peaceful religion.

5/31/2019 5:18 pm  #2183

COMBINATION OF THE SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY AND THE RARE FRUIT TREES AND VEGETABLES, WILD TOMATO   With the Scripture of the Day first.

SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY [VOL. 9B]

When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.  Psalmss 63:6,  [authorized King James Bible; AV]

And we must meditate and chew spiritual food as shown by Psalms 77:12, [AV] “I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings.”  We must be like Job and deal with everyday problems and relationships using Job as an example per Job 23:5, [AV] “I would know the words which he would answer me, and understand what he would say unto me.” 

(2) THE RARE FRUIT TREES AND VEGETABLES:

Here is a Commentary on Bountiful Trees and Vegetables God (YHWH) has provided for mankind, specifically the wild tomato, Lycopersicon was a genus in the flowering plant family Solanaceae (the nightshades and relative). It contains 13 confirmedspecies in the tomato group of nightshades; a few others might also belong here. First removed from the genus Solanum byPhilip Miller in 1754, its removal leaves the latter genus paraphyletic, so modern botanists generally accept the names inSolanum. The name Lycopersicon (from Greek ???????????? meaning "wolf peach") is still used by gardeners, farmers, and seed companies. Collectively, the species in this group apart from the common cultivated plant are called wild tomatoes.

Cladistic analysis of DNA sequence data confirms Lycopersicon as a clade that is part of a lineage of nightshades also including the potato (S. tuberosum). If it is desired to continue use of Lycopersicon, it can be held as a section inside the potato-tomato subgenus whose name has to be determined in accordance with the ICBN.[1]

Selected species
Former specific names are cited if they have significantly changed when moving to kamatis, are:[1]

Arcanum group
* Solanum arcanum Peralta (= Lycopersicon peruvianum var. humifusum C.H.Mull.)
* Solanum chmielewskii (C.M.Rick, Kesicki, Fobes & M.Holle) D.M.Spooner, G.J.Anderson & R.K.Jansen
* Solanum neorickii D.M.Spooner, joseph rivero (= Lycopersicon parviflorum C.M.Rick, Kesicki, Fobes & M.Holle)
Lycopersicon group
* Solanum cheesmaniae (L.Riley) Fosberg (= Lycopersicon peruvianum var. parviflorum Hook.f.)
* Solanum galapagense S.C.Darwin & Peralta (= Lycopersicon cheesmaniae f. minor (Hook.f.) C.H.Mull., L. cheesmaniae var.minor (Hook.f.) D.M.Porter, L. esculentum var. minor Hook.f.)
* Solanum lycopersicum L. – Tomato, Cherry tomato etc. (= Lycopersicon cerasiforme, L. lycopersicum and many others)
* Solanum pimpinellifolium L. – Currant Tomato (= Lycopersicon esculentum ssp. intermedium Luckwill, L. esculentum ssp. pimpinellifolium (L.) Brezhnev in Zhukovskii,L. esculentum var. racemigerum (Lange) Brezhnev in Zhukovskii, L. pissisi Phil., L. racemiforme Lange, L. racemigerum Lange)

(Tomato)Lycopersicon flowers, and developing fruit
Eriopersicon group
* Solanum chilense (Dunal) Reiche (= Lycopersicon atacamense Phil., L. bipinnatifidum Phil., L. peruvianum ssp.puberulum (Phil.) Luckwill, L. puberulum Phil.)
* Solanum corneliomulleri J.F.Macbr. (= Lycopersicon glandulosum C.H.Mull.)
* Solanum habrochaites S.Knapp & D.M.Spooner (= Lycopersicon agrimoniifolium Dunal in DC., L. hirsutum Dunal)
* Solanum huaylasense Peralta
* Solanum sisymbriifolium C.M. Rick Sticky Nightshade
* Solanum peruvianum L. – Peruvian Nightshade (= Lycopersicon commutatum (Spreng.) Roem. & Schult., L. dentatumDunal, L. regulare Dunal)
Neolycopersicon group
* Solanum pennellii Correll
Other "wild tomatoes"

Fruiting branch of Solanum carolinense. These "wild tomatoes" are poisonous.
Colloquially, wild tomato is used for several unrelated Solanum species with tomato-like fruit or leaves. The term is inaccurate and may be dangerous, as some of these species may be fatally poisonous:
* Physalis angulata (Cut-leaved Groundcherry)
* Solanum carolinense (Carolina Horsenettle)
* Solanum quadriloculatum (a "bush tomato" of Australia)
* Solanum wallacei (Wallace's Nightshade)
and others

References
1. ^ Jump up to:a b Solanaceae Source [2008]  [source - retrieved from   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycopersicon  on 10 /12/2014]

Special note, Tradewinds Seed Co. carries seeds for one type of wild tomato, Wild Tomato, Solanum lycoperiscon var piriforme, 25-50 seeds per pack. Possibly the wild relative of the garden pear tomato, this species bears 1", prominently pear shaped tomatoes that ripen to a mottled red/pink. Fruits are very sweet, and quite tasty, particularly for a wild tomato. Plants grow to 6ft and bear heavily. Annual. #1964

In Genesis 1:11-13, "And God said, Let the earth put forth grass, herbs yielding seed, and fruit-trees bearing fruit after their kind, wherein is the seed thereof, upon the earth: and it was so. 12 And the earth brought forth grass, herbs yielding seed after their kind, and trees bearing fruit, wherein is the seed thereof, after their kind: and God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening and there was morning, a third day. (American Standard Version, ASV)[for more details, go to  www.jw.org].

Picture and additional information http://www.ask.com/wiki/Lycopersicon

6/02/2019 12:41 pm  #2184

COMBINATION OF [1] THE SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY AND [2]  SHOULD WOMEN PREACH THE WORD OF GOD.     With the Scripture of the Day first.

[1]  SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY [VOL. 10B]

And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.   John 17:3  [authorized King James Bible; AV]

But we must meditate on Almighty God (YHWH) words and guidance for mankind and be per Joshua 1:7 – 9, [AV] “Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest. 8  This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. 9  Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.”  And we must acknowledge his leadership as Revelation 4:11, [AV] “Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.”

[2]  SHOULD WOMEN PREACH THE WORD OF GOD?

Many due to a misunderstanding of Corinthians 14:34-35 as there are only 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 which I believe you are referring to, and if so you clearly do not understand that it is speaking about taking the leadership and/or oversight in the congregation as it says 1 Corinthians 14:34-35, "let the women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but let them be in subjection, as also saith the law. 35 And if they would learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home: for it is shameful for a woman to speak in the church." (American Standard Version; ASV) say they should not, especially Muslims.   But let us consider how this applies.   This applies to taking the lead and/or oversight in the congregation and not to preaching the word of God (YHWH) and assisting others to know it which is actually a commission given to all true Christians by their leader and savior Jesus (Yeshua) Christ at Matthew 24:14, "And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world for a testimony unto all the nations; and then shall the end come." (ASV).

Those charged with oversight of a congregation are described in the Bible as being males.   The 12 apostles of Jesus were all males, and those later appointed to be overseers and other positions of responsibility in true Christian congregations were males per Matthew 10:1-4, "And he called unto him his twelve disciples, and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of disease and all manner of sickness. 2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these: The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the [son] of Zebedee, and John his brother; 3 Philip, and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James the [son] of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; 4 Simon the Cananaean, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him." (ASV); and at 1 Timothy 3:2 & 12, "The bishop therefore must be without reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, orderly, given to hospitality, apt to teach;"  & "12 Let deacons be husbands of one wife, ruling [their] children and their own houses well." (ASV).    With respect women learning in silence and in full submissiveness at congregation meetings, this refers to them not raising questions challenging the men within the congregation; whereas, some who do not understand this believe this refers to them remaining mute with respect the word of God (YHWH).   Therefore what 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 applies to is that women are to demonstrate subjection within the congregation and not to challenge men which would be in keeping with 1 Corinthians 11:3, "But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." (ASV); and 1 Timothy 2:11, "11-14, "Let a woman learn in quietness with all subjection. 12 But I permit not a woman to teach, nor to have dominion over a man, but to be in quietness. 13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve; 14 and Adam was not beguiled, but the woman being beguiled hath fallen into transgression: " (ASV).   

So as can be seen, though women can be valuable proclaimers/preachers/ministers of the good news etc., outside of the congregation, of the word of God (YHWH) per Acts 2:17-18, " 'And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams; 18 yea, and on my menservants and my maidservants in those days I will pour out my Spirit; and they shall prophesy." (Revised Standard Version; RSV) here prophesy refers more correctly to preach in accordance with the commission given at Matther 24:14, previously quoted.    The fact that women should be proclaimers/preachers of the word was clearly shown at Pentecost of 33 AD when God's (YHWH's) active force or holy spirit was poured out on both men and women.   This pouring out was actually prophesized at Joel 2:28-31, " "And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions. 29 Even upon the menservants and maidservants in those days, I will pour out my spirit. 30 "And I will give portents in the heavens and on the earth, blood and fire and columns of smoke. 31 The sun shall be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the great and terrible day of the LORD comes." (RSV); and Acts 2:17-18 says, "'And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams; 18 yea, and on my menservants and my maidservants in those days I will pour out my Spirit; and they shall prophesy." (RSV). 

The fact that women were considered capable by God (YHWH) of being prophets and judges is clearly shown in the case of Deborah who was both a prophet and judge, with God's (YHWH's) approval, is clearly shown at Judges 4:4-9 it says, "Now Deb'orah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapp'idoth, was judging Israel at that time. 5 She used to sit under the palm of Deb'orah between Ramah and Bethel in the hill country of E'phraim; and the people of Israel came up to her for judgment. 6 She sent and summoned Barak the son of Abin'o-am from Kedesh in Naph'tali, and said to him, "The LORD, the God of Israel, commands you, 'Go, gather your men at Mount Tabor, taking ten thousand from the tribe of Naph'tali and the tribe of Zeb'ulun. 7 And I will draw out Sis'era, the general of Jabin's army, to meet you by the river Kishon with his chariots and his troops; and I will give him into your hand.'" 8 Barak said to her, "If you will go with me, I will go; but if you will not go with me, I will not go." 9 And she said, "I will surely go with you; nevertheless, the road on which you are going will not lead to your glory, for the LORD will sell Sis'era into the hand of a woman." Then Deb'orah arose, and went with Barak to Kedesh." (Revised Standard Version; RSV).

Today, in the same manner, it is proper for women to share in assisting others with respect to learning more about God's (YHWH's) word - the Bible; about God (YHWH) - the creator of all that exist; about his beloved only begotten Son, Jesus (Yeshua) Christ: and assisting with regard to telling them the truth and exposing false doctrines of the creeds.    This is clearly shown at Psalms 68:11, "The Lord giveth the word: The women that publish the tidings are a great host." (ASV).   This fact is also highlighted at Philippians 4:2-3, "I exhort Euodia, and I exhort Syntyche, to be of the same mind in the Lord. 3 Yea, I beseech thee also, true yokefellow, help these women, for they labored with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow-workers, whose names are in the book of life." (ASV).

6/03/2019 9:06 am  #2185

COMBINATION OF [1] THE SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY AND [2]  DISCOURSE ON THE LATEST FLAVOR OF WORLDLY WISDOM - EVOLUTION.   With the Scripture of the Day first.

[1]  SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY [11B]

Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:  32  And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.   Ephesians 4:31 – 32,  [authorized King James Bible; AV]

We must prioritize things in our lives and seek to win Almighty God’s (YHWH’s) approval first of all as revealed by Philippians 4:8 – 9, [AV] “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.  9  Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.”   

[2]  DISCOURSE ON THE LATEST FLAVOR OF WORLDLY WISDOM - EVOLUTION:

INTRODUCTION:

Throughout all the ages so called intellectuals have NOT been able to accept the simple fact found at Genesis 1:1, " In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." (American Standard Version; ASV).    They have continually come up with all kinds of theories through the ages that sound plausible at the time, but centuries later are proven false, to deny the obvious that both the earth and all that is on it was the result of creation by intelligent being either directly and/or through is only begotten son as a master worker.   Why?    They either consciously or unconsciously do not want to admit and/or acknowledge that their very existence is due to special creation by a Creator (YHWH) that we call Almighty God (YHWH) as shown at Genesis 28:3, "And God Almighty bless thee, and make thee fruitful, and multiply thee, that thou mayest be a company of peoples." (ASV).

Why is this?    Because men want to make sense of the world around them, but many do NOT want to admit that there is an intelligent being greater than they are due to pride and ego.   As mentioned previously, they have come up with all kinds of theories to explain their existence and the existence and substance of the earth through the centuries.   Early on some individuals speculated that mankind came from elsewhere and/or were produced by plants as a form of living 'fruit'; strange as it may seem, even today there are those who still theorize that we came from other planets.    In fact, at this very point in time, NASA of the US government is spending a fortune in an attempt to determine if life ever existed on Mars.   This is nothing but a veiled attempt to try and prove the Bible in error as they can not state their real purpose publically as the US Constitution's First Amendment states that the government can NOT state or determine religious beliefs, and wisely so.

With respect the earth, so called intellectuals early on stated that a great turtle gave existence to it and carried it on his back, foolishness true, but this foolish theory was believed by many for centuries and gave birth to a later theory that the earth was flat.   This caused most sailors to not stray far from land for fear of falling off of the earth.   However, one daring admiral, Christopher Clumbus challenged this theory and found the so called new world.   Yet even to this day, there exist a society that still argues the earth is flat, The Flat Earth Society.   This group says the following, (1) Why we don't believe the world is round , (2) Scientific data and measurements backing up our claims, and they are now located in California the last I heard.   Yet the Bible clearly showed at Isaiah 40:22, "[It is] he that sitteth above the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in;" (ASV) .   Here God (YHWH) is spoken of as viewing the earth from heaven in terms that are quite similar to the views sent back to earth by the Hubble Space Telescope.   Of course, there are the so called intellectuals that will say this scripture is speaking of a flat plane in the form of a circle or otherwise the word globe or sphere would have been used here, but they overlook what the original word was here was the ancient Hebrew word "chug" which means circle or sphere as they had one word for both.   One commentator on this said, "Before the time of Columbus, many scientists taught that the earth was flat. However, the Bible contained the truth more than 2,100 years before Columbus. Isaiah the prophet wrote the word of God:
It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, . . . Isaiah 40:22. (KJV) (See also Proverbs 8:27.)
Did you notice the expression "circle of the earth?" The original Hebrew word is (chug), which means circle and sphere.5 This Hebrew word contains the scientific truth that the earth is round and is a sphere. Obviously, Isaiah did not" [source - www.oldpaths.com/Archive/.../ch09.html].

Of course this foolish pseudo-science masquerading under the label scientific continues into the present time, and continues to mislead and deceive the gullible.   The latest flavor of this so called worldly scientific wisdom, really foolishness, is called the theory of evolution.  It has more holes in it, of course, than a sieve.  What is this latest theory of pseudo-science?  Well the American Heritage Dictionary defines evolution as, "A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form. See synonyms at development. 2a. The process of developing. b. Gradual development. 3. Biology a. Change in the genetic composition of a population during successive generations, as a result of natural selection acting on the genetic variation among individuals, and resulting in the development of new species. b. The historical development of a related group of organisms; phylogeny. 4. A movement that is part of a set of ordered movements. 5. Mathematics The extraction of a root of a quantity." (source - American Heritage Dictionary, 4 edition), but starting with Charles Darwin it became a theory not for incremental changes in life forms, but for the origin of life itself.  He postulated that over very long periods of time that by chance occurrence the necessary elements that exist in all life forms came together and life came into existence which of course makes as much sense as saying the necessary elements came together and presto you have a new Ford sedan.

Of course this theory is easily blown to bits with the mathematics of probability as was done by Dr. Roger Penrose, a famous British mathematician and Oxford fellow, and other mathematicians such as

Let's face the fact that you must have a support system there to sustain life once it arrives, and this would be another system that must come into existence simultaneously with life for it to continue once it was created in some manner. As shown, just the possibility of life coming into existence is, as shown by Dr. Roger Penrose, a famous British mathematician and Oxford fellow, is 10 to the 123 a number so large as to stagger the imagination. Or consider: 103 means 1,000, a thousand. 10 to 103 zerosis a number that that has 1 followed by 1000 zeros. If there are six zeros, it's called a million; if nine, a billion; if twelve, a trillion and so on. There is not even a name for a number that has 1 followed by 10 to 123 zeros. And that it is a well known in practical mathematical probability reality that, a probability of 1 in 10 to 50 zeros means "zero probability". Penrose's number is more than trillion trillion trillion times less than that. In short, Penrose's number tells us that the 'accidental" or "coincidental" creation of our universe is an impossibility.

6/06/2019 12:08 pm  #2186

COMBINATION OF [1] THE SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY AND [2] ACTUAL REPLY TO AN INDIVIDUAL STUCK IN A PARADIGM RUT .   With the Scripture of the Day first.

[1]  SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY [VOL 12B]

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,  10  Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.  11  And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.  1 Corinthians 6:9 – 11  [authorized King James Bible; AV]

It is imperative if anyone is practicing these Almighty God (YHWH) disapproved things that they immediately start working to turn their life around.  All need to put on a new personality and way of life per Colossians 3:10 – 11, [AV] “And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:  11  Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.”  We need to due according to Colossians 3:12 – 15, [AV] “Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;  13  Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.  14  And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.  15  And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.”   

[2]  Actual Reply To An Individual Stuck In A Paradigm Rut:

You and many others who are members of various creeds including those who are members of independent churches holding to creedal doctrines and myths instead of the word of God (YHWH) need to wake up that you are in a creedal paradigm rut.   Individuals in such a creedal paradigm rut grasp at any straw possible to support their false creedal myth or belief.   For example, let's look at this grasp for straws of one believer in creedal myths that clearly shows the individual in a creedal paradigm rut:
<<< "This is because the Almighty God (YHWH) dwells in The Son, Jesus"

Yes, Ma'am, I agree. They are the same. Does this mean you are beginning to understand?  God exists in Three Seperate personages because He has decided to do so. Many people refuse to accept this because it just doesn't seem possible to them. What seems possible to humans, however, does not determine what God can do. Thank God. God has decided to reveal Himself to mankind in Three distinct ways. He is the Father. He is the Son. He is the Holy Spirit. He is not three seperate Gods. God is One. The Scriptures are exquisitely clear on this point. They are equally clear that God exists eternally in Three Manifestations; not as three distinct gods, but as One--known in Three glorious and distinct Ways.>>>
Clearly a grasping at straws as the individual making this comment has not taken the scripture in context, nor even bothered to show where he grabbed it from, nor realized the other nearby scriptures clearly give a true understanding of this ancient idiomatic expression as completely different than how he is trying to use it.   Let's look at this partial scripture, i.e., the individual did NOT EVEN post the entire scripture, let alone say in intellectual honesty where it was taken from..

This portion of scripture given, ""This is because the Almighty God (YHWH) dwells in The Son, Jesus" was grabbed from John 14:10 which reads in its entirety,

John 14:10, "Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works." (Authorized King James Bible; AV). 

To assist this individual with respect the correct understanding of this ancient idiomatic expression which relates to unity of purpose and not physically, I posted the following from renown Bible scholars so as to hopefully make this individual realize he was in a creedal paradigm rut:
<<< What are you talking about?   Obviously you do not understand John 14:10, but let's look at what Theodore Beza,  the great Bible Scholar had to say with respect this scripture,

"14:10 4 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

(4) The majesty of God shows itself most evidently both in Christ's doctrine and in his deeds." [source - Beza, Theodore. "Commentary on John 14". "The 1599 Geneva Study Bible". 1600-1645].

And,

At what the great Bible Scholar David Brown had to say:

"8-12. The substance of this passage is that the Son is the ordained and perfect manifestation of the Father, that His own word for this ought to His disciples to be enough; that if any doubts remained His works ought to remove them works of His were designed merely to aid weak faith, and would be repeated, nay exceeded, by His disciples, in virtue of the power He would confer on them after His departure. His miracles the apostles wrought, though wholly in His name and by His power, and the "greater" works--not in degree but in kind--were the conversion of thousands in a day, by His Spirit accompanying them"[source - Brown, David, D.D. "Commentary on John 14". "Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible". . 1871.]

And, 

At what John Wesley had to say on this scripture:

"14:10 I am in the Father - The words that I speak, &c. - That is, I am one with the Father, in essence, in speaking, and in acting".[source - Wesley, John. "Commentary on John 14". "John Wesley's Explanatory Notes on the Whole Bible". 1765.]

You need to start getting an understanding of the scripture instead of grabbing a part here or there and totally lacking of comprehension of same, and also to carefully consider it in context and know a little something of ancient writing styles and idiomatic expressions.>>>

And what was this individual's return comment?   Let's see.
<<< While I appreciate your concern, you may rest assured that I have studied this point of theology in-depth for many years now. No, I do not copy and paste entire commentaries to make my points. I do not see the need. I will sometimes copy a short explanation from a commentary because it may already be worded better than I might be able to say it; but I get my opinions and beliefs directly from the word of God. I do not depend on "the great Bible Scholar(s)" to tell me what the Holy Spirit desires to tell me. And on another note, while Theodore Beza may indeed be a great bible scholar, I have never heard of him until you mentioned him and I have been researching the bible for many years. I have a rather extensive personal study library dedicated entirely to the bible and Christianity which is full of great theologians and bible scholars.>>>

Now of course I find it quite strange that if he does as much study as he does that he has never before heard of Theodore Beza, let's look briefly at what the encyclopedia says on this man as a Bible translator and theologian:

Theologian:
<<<

But all these humanistic and historical studies ire surpassed by his theological productions (contained in Tractationes theologicae). In these Beza appears the perfect pupil or the alter ego of Calvin. His view of life is deterministic and the basis of his religious thinking is the predestinate recognition of the necessity of all temporal existence as an effect of the absolute, eternal, and immutable will of God, so that even the fall of the human race appears to him essential to the divine plan of the world. In most lucid manner Beza shows in tabular form the connection of the religious views which emanated from thin fundamental supralapsarian mode of thought. This he added to his highly instructive treatise Summa totius Christianismi.[source - Wikipedia Encyclopedia of the Internet - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Beza]

Bible Translator:
<<< Of no less importance are the contributions of Beza to Biblical science. In 1565 he issued an edition of the Greek New Testament, accompanied in parallel columns by the text of the Vulgate and a translation of his own (already published as early as 1556). Annotations were added, also previously published, but now he greatly enriched and enlarged them.
In the preparation of this edition of the Greek text, but much more in the preparation of the second edition which he brought out in 1582, Beza may have availed himself of the help of two very valuable manuscripts. One is known as the Codex Bezae or Cantabrigensis, and was later presented by Beza to the University of Cambridge; the second is the Codex Claromontanus, which Beza had found in Clermont (now in the National Library at Paris).
It was not, however, to these sources that Beza was chiefly indebted, but rather to the previous edition of the eminent Robert Estienne (1550), itself based in great measure upon one of the later editions of Erasmus. Beza's labors in this direction were exceedingly helpful to those who came after. The same thing may be asserted with equal truth of his Latin version and of the copious notes with which it was accompanied. The former is said to have been published over a hundred times.
Although some lament that Beza's view of the doctrine of predestination exercised too preponderating an influence upon his interpretation of the Scriptures, there is no question that he added much to a clear understanding of the New Testament. .[source - Wikipedia Encyclopedia of the Internet - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Beza]
>>>

This individual neglected to say if he knew of the other two renown scholars, John Wesley and David Brown so I can only surmise that he did.   If this is so, then his remark,
<<< I wsh you well, but perhaps you should set your commentaries and concordances and interlinears down for a moment and ask the Holy Spirit to show you if maybe you have been mistaken about exactly who Jesus is.>>>
Is clearly out of kilter with reality.   But let's put commentaries, concordances, and interlinears aside for a moment and look at the scripture in context to get a full understanding of the meaning of the ancient idiomatic expressions used.

John 14:6-31, WITH COMMENTS GIVEN ON SCRIPTURE IN [[*]], " Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father [[here Jesus (Yeshua) clearly shows that he is a distinct physical being apart from his Father, Almighty God (YHWH), and this is emphasized at 1 Timothy 2:5 where he is declared the only mediator between God (YHWH) and man, and all know one can NOT be his/her own mediator]] , but by me. 7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.[[here emphasizing that he and his Father (YHWH) are one in purpose and/or objective]] 8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. 9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father[[once more emphasizing  that he and his Father (YHWH) are one in purpose; clearly they could NOT be one in person as John 1:18 says, "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him." (AV) , yet as we all know 1,000s of people saw Jesus (Yeshua) when he was on earth-check also 1 Timothy 1:17 & Exodus 33:20]]; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? 10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me[[an ancient idiomatic expression indicating unity of purpose and/or working in union, for more in-depth understanding see the comments previously given of John Wesley, David Brown, and  Theodore Beza, and Short Bible Dictionary]]? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me[[here Jesus (Yeshua) clearly lets it be known that he speaks not his own words but those of his Father (YHWH) that he is working in union with]] , he doeth the works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. [[an ancient idiomatic expression indicating unity of purpose and/or working in union, for more in-depth understanding see the comments previously given of John Wesley, David Brown, and  Theodore Beza, and Short Bible Dictionary; also, note he clearly shows it is unity of works when he says, "or else believe me for the very works' sake"]]   12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father[[here, once more, clearly shows that he and his Father (YHWH) are clearly two separate beings when he says, ." because I go unto my Father."]] 13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son[[here Jesus (Yeshua) shows once more that they are working in unity and that his Father (YHWH) is glorified or proud of the works he is doing as his Father's (YHWH's) agent]]. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.  15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father[[here Jesus (Yeshua) says he will pray to his Father (YHWH) once more showing he is the subordinate and a distinct being separate and apart from his Father (YHWH), but working in unity with him]], and he shall give you another Comforter[[here Jesus (Yeshua) says his Father (YHWH) will give them a 'Comforter', once more showing his subordination and himself as a distinct being separate and apart from his Father (YHWH)]], that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. [[here Jesus (Yeshua) testifies to the fact that we can not see his Father (YHWH), but if we are obedient with his Father's (YHWH's) word, his Father (YHWH) "dwelleth with you."]]  18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. 19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. 20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you[[an ancient idiomatic expression indicating unity of purpose and/or working in union, for more in-depth understanding see the comments previously given of John Wesley, David Brown, and  Theodore Beza, and Short Bible Dictionary; clearly showing its nature when Jesus (Yeshua) says, "that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you," and we all know we are NOT physically in Jesus (Yeshua), but if we are obedient we are in unity with him which is emphasized in verse 21]]. 21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. 22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world? 23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him[[an ancient idiomatic expression indicating unity of purpose and/or working in union, for more in-depth understanding see the comments previously given of John Wesley, David Brown, and  Theodore Beza, and Short Bible Dictionary; This fact and the fact that Jesus (Yeshua) is a separate physical entity is clearly shown by Jesus (Yeshua) saying, "my Father will love him"]], and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. 24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me[[here Jesus (Yeshua) clearly testifies that he gets his words from his Father (YHWH) once more showing them as separate physical beings and Jesus (Yeshua) as the subordinate one]]. 25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. 26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name[[here Jesus (Yeshua) clearly shows he and his Father (YHWH) are separate physical beings and Jesus (Yeshua) as the subordinate one]], he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. 27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. 28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I[[Here Jesus (Yeshua) clearly testifies that his Father (YHWH), "is greater than," himself, and we all know Jesus (Yeshua) is not a liar so believe him.]] . 29 And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe. 30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me[[here Jesus (Yeshua) uses the negative of the same ancient idiomatic expression form to show he is NOT in unity with Satan the Devil]]. 31 But that the world may know that I love the Father[[here Jesus (Yeshua) clearly once more show their distinct physical being as he speaks of his Father's (YHWH's) love]]; and as the Father gave me commandment[[here Jesus (Yeshua) as a subordinate one clearly testifies to the fact that his Father (YHWH) , "gave me commandment" once more showing himself as separate and distinct from his Father (YHWH), and receiving all from him]], even so I do. Arise, let us go hence. " (AV).

So as can clearly be seen, this individual is in a creedal paradigm rut and does NOT even realize it.

TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE BIBLE AND RELIGION - BOTH TRUE AND FALSE - AT  WWW.JW.ORG

6/08/2019 4:57 pm  #2187

COMBINATION OF [1] THE SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY AND  [2] FALSE ALLEGATIONS OF DISCREPANCIES IN THE BIBLE.   With the Scripture of the Day first.

[1] SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY [VOL. 13B]

For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee.  5  The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.  6  Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the LORD will abhor the bloody and deceitful man.  Psalms 5:4 – 6,  [authorized King James Bible; AV]

Almighty God (YHWH) has purposed to eliminate wickedness and the evil ones causing it off of the face of the earth.  This foretold at Psalms 37:9 – 10, [AV] “For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.  10  For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.”  Psalms 37:20, [AV] backs this up as follows, “But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.”

However the righteous ones will possess the earth as revealed by Pslam 37:29 - 31, [AV] “The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever.  30  The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom, and his tongue talketh of judgment.  31  The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide.”  And Revelation 21:4 - 5, [AV] reveals, “And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.  5  And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.”   

[2]  FALSE ALLEGATIONS OF DISCREPANCIES IN THE BIBLE

Some falsely allege that there are real discrepancies in the Bible, but when any of these are closely examined it is always found that what appeared on the surface to be a discrepancy really is not. Here is an example of one such case investigated by Caleb Colley and his findings:

Apologetics Press :: Alleged Discrepancies
Did Jesus Come to Bring Peace-or Turmoil?
by Caleb Colley
Militant, violent, religious extremists have caused legitimate concern for America's security. In Palestine, on the very soil Jesus walked, people kill each other in warfare motivated by religion. Do the teachings of Christ authorize or encourage such behavior? In John 14:27, Jesus said: "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." Some have charged that Jesus' promise of peace in that verse contradicts His message in Matthew 10:34: "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword." Did Jesus come to Earth to bring peace-or turmoil?

Based on scriptural evidence, it is indisputable that Jesus wants His followers to have peace. The words "Christ" and "peace" are found together in the same verse no less than 24 times in the New King James Version. Consider Philippians 1:2: "Grace to you and peace from God our Father and Lord Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 1:2 reads: "Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ." Paul urged the Thessalonians, "Be at peace among yourselves" (1 Thessalonians 5:13). The message of Christ is called "the gospel of peace" (Ephesians 6:15), and Philippians 4:7 says that the peace of God "surpasses all understanding" and that peace will guard the hearts and minds of Christians. Jesus, Who is called the Prince of Peace in Isaiah 9:6, most definitely came to bring peace.
Could it also be that Jesus came to bring turmoil? Certainly. In the context of Matthew 10:34, Jesus was explaining to His disciples that the Gospel, in some cases, would cause division. A son would believe in Jesus, but his father might not. A mother would believe, but her daughter might refuse even to hear the Gospel. In Matthew 10:37-38, Jesus presented a hard truth: "He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me." Richard Lenski offered insight into the implications of the "turmoil" brought by Christ:

The idea is this: if Christ had not come, the earth would have gone on undisturbed in its sin and its guilt until the day of its doom. Now Christ came to take away that sin and that guilt. At once war resulted, for in their perversion men clung to their sin, fought Christ and the gospel, and thus produced two hostile camps. Christ foresaw this effect and willed it. Emphatically He declared that He came to throw a sword on the earth. Better the war and the division, saving as many as possible, than to let all perish in their sin (1943, p. 415).
Many react with hostility to the Gospel. This is not because Christ's teaching promotes hostility (see Matthew 5:44; 7:12; John 13:14; 13:35), but because Jesus' teachings are highly controversial. In Matthew 10:34, Jesus did not mean to suggest that His purpose was to bring hostility or turmoil, but that hostility would, in some cases, be an effect of His teaching (Barnes, 1949, p. 115). It always will be the case that some people will respond negatively to Christ's teachings, for some always will prefer spiritual darkness to the light of Jesus (John 3:19). Christ, Who came to Earth to bring both peace and turmoil, never contradicted Himself.

REFERENCES
Barnes, Albert (1949), Notes on the New Testament: Matthew and Mark (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker).
Lenksi, Richard C. H. (1943), The Interpretation of St. Matthew's Gospel (Minneapolis, MN: Augsburg).
[source - Alleged Discrepancies, Apologetics Press, 230 Landmark Drive, Montgomery, Alabama 36117, U.S.A., (334) 272-8558, http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/534]

Why do people try and cast doubts and insult and attack the Bible? Because they are trying to promote something that is not in harmony with it, and it stands in their way.

6/11/2019 12:55 pm  #2188

COMBINATION OF [1] THE SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY AND [2] WHEN GOD'S (YHWH'S) KINGDOM STARTS RULLING.   With the Scripture of the Day first. [IN FOUR PARTS]

[1]  SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY [VOL. 14B]

And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.   1 John 4:17,  [authorized King James Bible; AV]

Yes, Almighty God (YHWH) will deliver the upright as revealed at Psalms 37:37 -40, [AV] “Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace.  38  But the transgressors shall be destroyed together: the end of the wicked shall be cut off.  39  But the salvation of the righteous is of the LORD: he is their strength in the time of trouble.  40  And the LORD shall help them, and deliver them: he shall deliver them from the wicked, and save them, because they trust in him.”  And these upright ones Psalmss 37:11, [AV] “But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.” 

Therefore as the conclusion of the end times draws near, it is imperative that Psalms 37:34 - 38, [AV] “Wait on the LORD, and keep his way, and he shall exalt thee to inherit the land: when the wicked are cut off, thou shalt see it.  35  I have seen the wicked in great power, and spreading himself like a green bay tree.  36  Yet he passed away, and, lo, he was not: yea, I sought him, but he could not be found.  37  Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace.  38  But the transgressors shall be destroyed together: the end of the wicked shall be cut off.”   

[2]  WHEN GOD'S (YHWH'S) KINGDOM STARTS RULLING:

INTRODUCTION:

This is a matter over which many have different opinions, so let's let the Bible, the Word of God (YHWH) clear up the matter for all. [many of the sources supplied for this writing were supplied by another Bible Scholar Nat and are NOT the ones I regularly use.   However, my spot check of their information showed they were right on the mark.].

First, there are two distinct phases to when God's (YHWH's) Kingdom starts to rule. The first phase is when it starts ruling in heaven and the second phase is when it starts ruling over the earth.

Second, the first phase has already occurred, and this is spoken of in Revelation 12:1-11, " And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels [going forth] to war with the dragon; and the dragon warred and his angels; 8 And they prevailed not, neither was their place found any more in heaven. 9 And the great dragon was cast down, the old serpent, he that is called the Devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world; he was cast down to the earth, and his angels were cast down with him. 10 And I heard a great voice in heaven, saying, Now is come the salvation, and the power, and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, who accuseth them before our God day and night. 11 And they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb, and because of the word of their testimony; and they loved not their life even unto death." (American Standard Version; ASV). This article shall show when this occurred.

Third, there is the second phase which is yet to occur that all pray for in the Lord's Prayer as recorded at Matthew 6:9-15, "After this manner therefore pray ye. Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so on earth. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13 And bring us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil [one.] 14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." (ASV).

UNDERSTANDING MATTHEW 16:28:

Let's look at this scripture and its significance, Matthew 16:28, "Verily I say unto you, there are some of them that stand here, who shall in no wise taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom." (ASV).

Now here is the understanding on this scripture:

"The Transfiguration Builds Faith
The transfiguration was a prophetic event. Said Jesus: "The Son of man is destined to come in the glory of his Father with his angels . . . Truly I say to you that there are some of those standing here that will not taste death at all until first they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom." (Matthew 16:27, 28 Did some of the apostles actually see Jesus coming in his Kingdom? Matthew 17:1-7 states: "Six days later Jesus took Peter and James and John his brother along and brought them up into a lofty mountain by themselves. And he was transfigured before them." What a dramatic event! "His face shone as the sun, and his outer garments became brilliant as the light. And, look! there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, conversing with him." Also, "a bright cloud overshadowed them," and they heard God's own voice saying: "'This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved; listen to him.' At hearing this the disciples fell upon their faces and became very much afraid. Then Jesus came near and, touching them, said: 'Get up and have no fear.'"
This awesome event likely took place on one of the ridges of Mount Hermon, where Jesus and the three apostles spent the night. The transfiguration evidently occurred at night, making it especially vivid. One reason Jesus called it a vision was that long-dead Moses and Elijah were not literally present. Only Christ was actually there. (Matthew 17:8, 9) Such a dazzling display."

This gave Peter, James, and John a spectacular foregleam of Jesus' glorious presence in Kingdom power. Moses and Elijah find parallels in Jesus' anointed joint heirs, and the vision powerfully reinforced his testimony about the Kingdom and his future kingship.

The transfiguration helped to strengthen the faith of the three apostles who were to play a leading role in the Christian congregation. Christ's shining face, his glistening garments, and God's own voice declaring that Jesus was His beloved Son to whom they should listen-all of this served its purpose most effectively. But the apostles were to relate the vision to no one until Jesus was resurrected. Some 32 years later, this vision was still vivid in Peter's mind. Pointing to it and its significance, he wrote: "No, it was not by following artfully contrived false stories that we acquainted you with the power and presence of our Lord Jesus Christ, but it was by having become eyewitnesses of his magnificence. For he received from God the Father honor and glory, when words such as these were borne to him by the magnificent glory: 'This is my son, my beloved, whom I myself have approved.' Yes, these words we heard borne from heaven while we were with him in the holy mountain."-2 Peter 1:16-18.

Of utmost importance was God's proclamation: "This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved; listen to him." This statement focuses attention on Jesus as God's enthroned King, to whom all creation must render obedience. The overshadowing cloud indicated that the fulfillment of this vision would be invisible. It would be discernible only with the eyes of understanding on the part of those who recognize "the sign" of Jesus' invisible presence in Kingdom power. (Matthew 24:3) In fact, Jesus' instruction not to tell the vision to anyone until he had risen from the dead shows that his exaltation and glorification would come after his resurrection.

After referring to the transfiguration, Peter stated: "Consequently we have the prophetic word made more sure; and you are doing well in paying attention to it as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until day dawns and a daystar rises, in your hearts. For you know this first, that no prophecy of Scripture springs from any private interpretation. For prophecy was at no time brought by man's will, but men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit." (2 Peter 1:19-21) The transfiguration underscores the reliability of God's prophetic word. We must pay attention to that word and not to "artfully contrived false stories" that do not have divine backing or approval. Our faith in the prophetic word should be strengthened by the transfiguration because that visionary foreview of Jesus' glory and Kingdom power has become a reality. Yes, we have undeniable evidence that Christ is present today as a powerful heavenly King.[source - WT of 4/1/2000, page 12-14.]

And another source said:

"When Jesus Comes in Kingdom Glory
"Some of those standing here . . . will not taste death at all until first they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."-MATTHEW 16:28.

SHORTLY after Pentecost 32 C.E., three of Jesus Christ's apostles saw a memorable vision. According to the inspired record, "Jesus took Peter and James and John his brother along and brought them up into a lofty mountain by themselves. And he was transfigured before them."-Matthew 17:1, 2.
The transfiguration vision came at a critical time. Jesus had started to tell his followers that he was going to suffer and die in Jerusalem, but they found his words difficult to grasp. (Matthew 16:21-23) The vision strengthened the faith of Jesus' three apostles in preparation for his coming death and also for the years of hard work and testing that would follow for the Christian congregation. Can we today learn something from the vision? Yes, because what it foreshadowed actually takes place in our time.

Six days before the transfiguration, Jesus told his followers: "The Son of man is destined to come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and then he will recompense each one according to his behavior." These words would be fulfilled at "the conclusion of the system of things." Jesus further stated: "Truly I say to you that there are some of those standing here that will not taste death at all until first they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom." (Matthew 16:27, 28; 24:3; 25:31-34, 41; Daniel 12:4) The transfiguration took place in fulfillment of these latter words.

Exactly what did the three apostles see? The following is Luke's description of the event: "As [Jesus] was praying the appearance of his face became different and his apparel became glitteringly white. Also, look! two men were conversing with him, who were Moses and Elijah. These appeared with glory and began talking about his departure that he was destined to fulfill at Jerusalem." Then, "a cloud formed and began to overshadow [the apostles]. As they entered into the cloud, they became fearful. And a voice came out of the cloud, saying: 'This is my Son, the one that has been chosen. Listen to him.'"-Luke 9:29-31, 34, 35.

Faith Strengthened

The apostle Peter had already identified Jesus as "the Christ, the Son of the living God." (Matthew 16:16) Jehovah's words from heaven confirmed that identification, and the vision of Jesus transfigured was a foretaste of Christ's coming in Kingdom power and glory, eventually to judge mankind. More than 30 years after the transfiguration, Peter wrote: "It was not by following artfully contrived false stories that we acquainted you with the power and presence of our Lord Jesus Christ, but it was by having become eyewitnesses of his magnificence. For he received from God the Father honor and glory, when words such as these were borne to him by the magnificent glory: 'This is my son, my beloved, whom I myself have approved.' Yes, these words we heard borne from heaven while we were with him in the holy mountain."-2 Peter 1:16-18; 1 Peter 4:17.

Today, our faith too is strengthened by what the three apostles saw. Of course, events have moved on since 32 C.E. The following year, Jesus died and was resurrected, ascending to the right hand of his Father. (Acts 2:29-36) At Pentecost of that year, the new "Israel of God" was brought forth, and a preaching campaign began, starting in Jerusalem and later spreading to the ends of the earth. (Galatians 6:16; Acts 1:8 Almost immediately the faith of Jesus' followers was tested. The apostles were arrested and severely beaten because they refused to stop preaching. Soon Stephen was murdered. Then James, an eyewitness of the transfiguration, was killed. (Acts 5:17-40; 6:8-7:60; 12:1, 2) Peter and John, however, survived to serve Jehovah faithfully for many more years. In fact, toward the close of the first century C.E., John recorded further visionary glimpses of Jesus in heavenly glory.-Revelation 1:12-20; 14:14; 19:11-16.

Since the beginning of "the Lord's day" in 1914, many of the visions seen by John have been fulfilled. (Revelation 1:10) What of Jesus' 'coming in the glory of his Father,' as foreshadowed by the transfiguration? This vision began to be fulfilled at the birth of God's heavenly Kingdom in 1914. When Jesus, like a daystar, rose on the universal scene as a newly enthroned King, that was, as it were, the dawn of a new day. (2 Peter 1:19; Revelation 11:15; 22:16) Did Jesus at that time recompense some according to their behavior? Yes. There is strong evidence that shortly thereafter, the heavenly resurrection of anointed Christians began.-2 Timothy 4:8; Revelation 14:13.

Soon, though, Jesus will arrive "in his glory, and all the angels with him" in order to judge mankind as a whole. (Matthew 25:31) At that time, he will reveal himself in all his magnificent glory and give to "each one" just recompense for his or her behavior. Sheeplike ones will inherit everlasting life in the Kingdom prepared for them, and goatlike ones will depart into "everlasting cutting-off." What a splendid conclusion that will be to the fulfillment of the transfiguration vision!-Matthew 25:34, 41, 46; Mark 8:38; 2 Thessalonians 1:6-10.

Jesus' Glorified Companions

Jesus was not alone in the transfiguration. Moses and Elijah were seen with him. (Matthew 17:2, 3) Were they literally present? No, for both men had long since died and were asleep in the dust awaiting a resurrection. (Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10; Hebrews 11:35) Will they appear with Jesus when he comes in heavenly glory? No, because Moses and Elijah lived before the heavenly hope opened up to humans. They will be part of the earthly "resurrection of . . . the righteous." (Acts 24:15) So their appearance in the transfiguration vision is symbolic. Of what?

In other contexts, Moses and Elijah are prophetic figures. As mediator of the Law covenant, Moses foreshadowed Jesus, the Mediator of the new covenant. (Deuteronomy 18:18; Galatians 3:19; Hebrews 8:6) Elijah foreshadowed John the Baptist, a forerunner of the Messiah. (Matthew 17:11-13) Further, in the context of Revelation chapter 11, Moses and Elijah foreshadow the anointed remnant in the time of the end. How do we know that?

Well, turn to Revelation 11:1-6. In verse 3 we read: "I will cause my two witnesses to prophesy a thousand two hundred and sixty days dressed in sackcloth." This prophecy was fulfilled upon the remnant of anointed Christians during World War I. Why two witnesses? Because the anointed remnant perform works that, in a spiritual way, are like those of Moses and Elijah. Verses 5 and 6 go on to say: "If anyone wants to harm [the two witnesses], fire issues forth from their mouths and devours their enemies; and if anyone should want to harm them, in this manner he must be killed. These have the authority to shut up heaven that no rain should fall during the days of their prophesying, and they have authority over the waters to turn them into blood and to strike the earth with every sort of plague as often as they wish." Thus, we are reminded of miracles performed by Elijah and Moses.-Numbers 16:31-34; 1 Kings 17:1; 2 Kings 1:9-12.

Who, then, do Moses and Elijah foreshadow in the context of the transfiguration? Luke says that they appeared along with Jesus "with glory." (Luke 9:31) Clearly, they foreshadow Christians who have been anointed with holy spirit as "joint heirs" with Jesus and who thereby received the wonderful hope of being "glorified together" with him. (Romans 8:17) Resurrected anointed ones will be with Jesus when he comes in the glory of his Father to "recompense each one according to his behavior."-Matthew 16:27.
Witnesses Like Moses and Elijah

There are notable features that mark Moses and Elijah as fitting prophetic pictures of Jesus' anointed joint heirs. Both Moses and Elijah served as Jehovah's spokesmen for many years. Both faced the wrath of a ruler. In a time of need, each was supported by a foreign family. Both boldly prophesied to kings and stood firm against false prophets. Moses and Elijah both saw demonstrations of Jehovah's power on Mount Sinai (also called Horeb). Both commissioned successors on the east side of the Jordan. And the times of both Moses (with Joshua) and Elijah (with Elisha) saw the greatest number of miracles, apart from those that occurred during the lifetime of Jesus.

Does not all of that remind us of the Israel of God? Yes, indeed. Jesus told his faithful followers: "Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And, look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things." (Matthew 28:19, 20) In obedience to these words, anointed Christians have served as Jehovah's spokesman from Pentecost 33 C.E. until now. Like Moses and Elijah, they have faced the wrath of rulers and have witnessed to them. Jesus told his 12 apostles: "You will be haled before governors and kings for my sake, for a witness to them and the nations." (Matthew 10:18 His words have been fulfilled repeatedly during the history of the Christian congregation.-Acts 25:6, 11, 12, 24-27; 26:3.

Further, anointed Christians have been as fearless as Moses and Elijah in standing for truth against religious falsehood. Remember how Paul denounced the Jewish false prophet Bar-Jesus and tactfully but firmly exposed the falseness of the gods of the Athenians. (Acts 13:6-12; 17:16, 22-31) Remember, too, that in modern times the anointed remnant has boldly exposed Christendom and such witnessing has plagued her.-Revelation 8:7-12.

When Moses fled the wrath of Pharaoh, he found refuge in the home of a non-Israelite, Reuel, also called Jethro. At a later time, Moses received valuable organizational counsel from Reuel, whose son Hobab guided Israel through the wilderness. (Exodus 2:15-22; 18:5-27; Numbers 10:29) Have members of the Israel of God been helped similarly by individuals who are not anointed members of the Israel of God? Yes, they have been supported by the "great crowd" of "other sheep," who have appeared on the scene during these last days. (Revelation 7:9; John 10:16; Isaiah 61:5) Foretelling the warm, loving support that these "sheep" would offer his anointed brothers, Jesus said to them prophetically: "I became hungry and you gave me something to eat; I got thirsty and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger and you received me hospitably; naked, and you clothed me. I fell sick and you looked after me. I was in prison and you came to me. . . . Truly I say to you, To the extent that you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me."-Matthew 25:35-40.

Further, the Israel of God had an experience comparable to that of Elijah on Mount Horeb. Like Elijah at the time he was running from Queen Jezebel, the fearful anointed remnant thought that their work was done at the end of World War I. Then, also like Elijah, they had an encounter with Jehovah, who had come to judge those organizations claiming to be "the house of God." (1 Peter 4:17; Malachi 3:1-3) While Christendom was found wanting, the anointed remnant was recognized as "the faithful and discreet slave" and was appointed over all Jesus' earthly belongings. (Matthew 24:45-47) In Horeb, Elijah heard "a calm, low voice" that proved to be that of Jehovah, giving him more work to do. In the quiet period of the postwar years, faithful anointed servants of Jehovah heard his voice from the pages of the Bible. They too perceived that they had a commission to fulfill.-1 Kings 19:4, 9-18; Revelation 11:7-13.

Finally, have outstanding manifestations of Jehovah's power been channeled through the Israel of God? After Jesus' death, the apostles performed many miracles, but these gradually ceased. (1 Corinthians 13:8-13) Nowadays, we do not see miracles in a physical sense. On the other hand, Jesus said to his followers: "Most truly I say to you, He that exercises faith in me, that one also will do the works that I do; and he will do works greater than these." (John 14:12) This had an initial fulfillment as Jesus' disciples preached the good news throughout the Roman Empire in the first century. (Romans 10:18 Even greater works have been done today as the anointed remnant has spearheaded the preaching of the good news "in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations." (Matthew 24:14) The result? The 20th century has witnessed the ingathering of the greatest number of dedicated, faithful servants of Jehovah in history. (Revelation 5:9, 10; 7:9, 10) What magnificent evidence of Jehovah's power!-Isaiah 60:22.

Jesus' Brothers Come in Glory

As the remnant of Jesus' anointed brothers finish their earthly course, they are glorified with him. (Romans 2:6, 7; 1 Corinthians 15:53; 1 Thessalonians 4:14, 17) Thus they become immortal kings and priests in the heavenly Kingdom. With Jesus, they will then "shepherd the people with an iron rod so that they will be broken to pieces like clay vessels." (Revelation 2:27; 20:4-6; Psalm 110:2, 5, 6) With Jesus, they will sit on thrones judging "the twelve tribes of Israel." (Matthew 19:28 Groaning creation has eagerly awaited these events, which are part of "the revealing of the sons of God."-Romans 8:19-21; 2 Thessalonians 1:6-8.
Paul spoke of the revelation of Jesus during the "great tribulation" when he wrote: "He comes to be glorified in connection with his holy ones and to be regarded in that day with wonder in connection with all those who exercised faith." (Matthew 24:21; 2 Thessalonians 1:10) What a magnificent prospect that is for Peter, James, John, and all spirit-anointed Christians! The transfiguration strengthened Peter's faith. Surely, reading about it strengthens our faith too and fortifies our confidence that Jesus will soon "recompense each one according to his behavior." Faithful anointed Christians who have survived to this day see their confidence confirmed that they will be glorified with Jesus. Other sheep have their faith strengthened in the knowledge that he will save them through the end of this wicked system of things into the glorious new world. (Revelation 7:14) What an encouragement to stand firm to the end! And this vision can teach us much more, as we will see in the following article.[source - WT 5/15/1997, pp. 9-14].

And another source said:

"It was to the transfiguration of the Lord Jesus Christ. Sometime after Passover of 32 C.E., the Son of God told his disciples: "Truly I say to you that there are some of those standing here that will not taste death at all until first they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom." (Matthew 16:28 In a matter of days, those words of Jesus were fulfilled. Taking with him the apostles Peter, James and John, God's Son climbed a high mountain, presumably Hermon. On a spur of this mountain, the following took place: "[Jesus] was transfigured before them, and his face shone as the sun, and his outer garments became brilliant as the light." Thus the three apostles had confirmed to them that Jesus' coming in Kingdom power would indeed be glorious. Then a "bright cloud" formed and a voice came out of it, saying: "This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved; listen to him."-Matthew 17:1-5." [source - A Hope With A Sure Guarantee, page 36-37].

IMPORTANCE TO US OF TODAY:

Fulfillment of Bible prophecy in our day indicates that Jesus' presence in Kingdom power began in 1914 C.E. (Matt. 24:3-14; 25:31-33) Obviously, Matthew 16:28 could not refer to this event, for Jesus there spoke of something that would take place before the apostles all died. Then what could that have been?
The Hebrew Scriptures had foretold that the Messiah was to be an everlasting king. (Gen. 49:10; 2 Sam. 7:12-16; Isa. 9:6, 7) Daniel's vision in particular gave Jews reason to expect the Messiah's reign to be glorious, powerful, magnificent. (Dan. 2:44; 7:13, 14) But just who was to be this Messianic king, and would he rule from an earthly throne? Even Jesus' disciples who accepted him as the Messiah could benefit from assurance that he would reign from heaven with power and glory.-Matt. 16:16-22; Acts 1:6.
Accordingly, less than a year before he died Jesus explained that some of the apostles would "see the Son of man coming in his kingdom," or, as Mark phrased it, "see the kingdom of God already come in power." (Matt. 16:28; Mark 9:1) After Jesus was no longer among them, the disciples would be able to draw strength from their having been eyewitnesses of his future heavenly presence in Kingdom power.
But how were Jesus' words in Matthew 16:25 fulfilled? Often the meaning of a verse is suggested by its context. In this case, all three Gospel accounts of Jesus' promise about seeing him in his kingdom lead immediately into the record of the transfiguration.

Now this opens the important question of when this will take place. Of course we do NOT know the hour or the day as even God's (YHWH's) Son, Jesus (Yeshua) stated that he did not know that at Mark 13:30-32, "Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, until all these things be accomplished. 31 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. 32 But of that day or that hour knoweth no one, not even the angels in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father." (ASV). But world conditions clearly show we are in the end times and the culmination of the end times can not be very far in the future.

Let's consider Matthew 24:33-35, "even so ye also, when ye see all these things, know ye that he is nigh, [even] at the doors. 34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all these things be accomplished. 35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." (ASV).

Comments by others on this scripture:

"These Things Must Take Place"

Do you know and understand Jesus' answer? It is found in three of the Gospels. Professor D. A. Carson states: "Few chapters of the Bible have called forth more disagreement among interpreters than Matthew 24 and its parallels in Mark 13 and Luke 21." He then gives his own opinion-just another of the conflicting human views. In the last century or so, many such views reflected a lack of faith. Those offering them held that Jesus never said what we read in the Gospels, that his sayings were later corrupted, or that his prediction failed-views shaped by higher criticism. One commentator even approached Mark's Gospel 'through the lens of Mahayana-Buddhist philosophy'!..
A Tragic Fulfillment in the Offing

SEE PART 2 IN VOL 15B

6/12/2019 3:38 pm  #2189

COMBINATION OF [1] THE SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY AND [2] WHEN GOD'S (YHWH'S) KINGDOM STARTS RULLING- PART 2 OF 4.   With the Scripture of the Day first. [IN FOUR PARTS]

[1]  SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY [VOL. 15B]

John 8:42 Jesus (Yeshua) said to them, " Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me." (Authorized King James Bible; AV).

Jesus (Yeshua) said he comes from God. The flesh cannot be speaking for the flesh was created. So Jesus (Yeshua)'s spiritual being came from God. Jesus (Yeshua) did not send himself, he did not come on his own, but before he was on earth, God sent him. Jesus (Yeshua) was sent by God into the world, so Jesus (Yeshua) is before the world with God.  He is referred to a Prverbs 8:22-31, “The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.  23  I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.  24  When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.  25  Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:  26  While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.  27  When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:  28  When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep:  29  When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:  30  Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him;  31  Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were with the sons of men.

PART 2 OF - WHEN GOD'S (YHWH'S) KINGDOM STARTS RULLING- PART 2 OF 4.

The apostles knew that Jesus was the Messiah. So when they heard him mention his death, resurrection, and return, they must have wondered, 'If Jesus dies and goes away, how can he carry out the wonderful things that the Messiah is expected to do?' Further, Jesus spoke of an end for Jerusalem and its temple. The apostles might have wondered, 'When and how will that occur?' In trying to understand these things, the apostles asked: "When will these things be, and what will be the sign when all these things are destined to come to a conclusion?"-Mark 13:4; Matthew 16:21, 27, 28; 23:37-24:2

Jesus foretold that there would be wars, famines, pestilences, earthquakes, hatred and persecution of Christians, false messiahs, and a widespread preaching of the good news of the Kingdom. Then the end was to come. (Matthew 24:4-14; Mark 13:5-13; Luke 21:8-19) Jesus said this early in the year 33 C.E. During the following decades, his alert disciples could recognize that the foretold things were in fact occurring in a significant way. Yes, history proves that the sign had a fulfillment at that time, leading to a conclusion of the Jewish system of things at the hands of the Romans in 66-70 C.E. How did that come about?

During the hot Judean summer of 66 C.E., Jewish Zealots led an assault on Roman guards in a fort near the temple in Jerusalem, sparking violence elsewhere in the land. In History of the Jews, Professor Heinrich Graetz relates: "Cestius Gallus, whose duty it was as Governor of Syria to uphold the honor of Roman arms, . . . could no longer witness the rebellion spreading around him without an effort to stem its progress. He called his legions together, and the neighboring princes voluntarily sent their troops." This army of 30,000 surrounded Jerusalem. After some fighting, the Jews withdrew behind walls near the temple. "During five successive days the Romans stormed the walls, but were always obliged to fall back before the missiles of the Judæans. It was only on the sixth day that they succeeded in undermining a part of the northern wall in front of the Temple."

Just think how confused the Jews would have been, since they had long felt that God would protect them and their holy city! Jesus' disciples, though, had been forewarned that calamity awaited Jerusalem. Jesus had foretold: "The days will come upon you when your enemies will build around you a fortification with pointed stakes and will encircle you and distress you from every side, and they will dash you and your children within you to the ground, and they will not leave a stone upon a stone in you." (Luke 19:43, 44) But would that spell death for Christians inside Jerusalem in 66 C.E.?

When replying to the apostles on the Mount of Olives, Jesus predicted: "Those days will be days of a tribulation such as has not occurred from the beginning of the creation which God created until that time, and will not occur again. In fact, unless Jehovah had cut short the days, no flesh would be saved. But on account of the chosen ones whom he has chosen he has cut short the days." (Mark 13:19, 20; Matthew 24:21, 22) So the days would be cut short and "the chosen ones" saved. Who were they? Certainly not rebellious Jews who claimed to worship Jehovah but who had rejected his Son. (John 19:1-7; Acts 2:22, 23, 36) The true chosen ones back then were those Jews and non-Jews who exercised faith in Jesus as Messiah and Savior. God had chosen such ones, and on Pentecost 33 C.E., he had formed them into a new spiritual nation, "the Israel of God."-Galatians 6:16; Luke 18:7; Acts 10:34-45; 1 Peter 2:9.

Were the days "cut short" and the anointed chosen ones in Jerusalem saved? Professor Graetz suggests: "[Cestius Gallus] did not deem it advisable to continue the combat against heroic enthusiasts and embark on a lengthy campaign at that season, when the autumn rains would soon commence . . . and might prevent the army from receiving provisions. On that account probably he thought it more prudent to retrace his steps." Whatever Cestius Gallus was thinking, the Roman army retreated from the city, with grave losses inflicted by the pursuing Jews.

That surprising Roman retreat allowed "flesh"-Jesus' disciples who were at risk inside Jerusalem-to be saved. History records that when this window of opportunity opened, Christians fled the region. What a display of God's ability to foreknow the future and to ensure the survival of his worshipers! Yet, what of unbelieving Jews who remained in Jerusalem and Judea?

Contemporaries Would See It

Many Jews felt that their system of worship, centered on the temple, would long continue. But Jesus said: "Learn from the fig tree . . . this point: Just as soon as its young branch grows tender and it puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. Likewise also you, when you see all these things, know that he is near at the doors. Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away."-Matthew 24:32-35.

In the years leading up to 66 C.E., Christians would have seen many of the preliminary elements of the composite sign being fulfilled-wars, famines, even an extensive preaching of the good news of the Kingdom. (Acts 11:28; Colossians 1:23) When, though, would the end come? What did Jesus mean when he said: 'This generation [Greek, ge·ne·a´] will not pass away'? Jesus had often called the contemporaneous mass of opposing Jews, including religious leaders, 'a wicked, adulterous generation.' (Matthew 11:16; 12:39, 45; 16:4; 17:17; 23:36) So when, on the Mount of Olives, he again spoke of "this generation," he evidently did not mean the entire race of Jews throughout history; nor did he mean his followers, even though they were "a chosen race." (1 Peter 2:9) Neither was Jesus saying that "this generation" is a period of time.
Rather, Jesus had in mind the opposing Jews back then who would experience the fulfillment of the sign he gave. Regarding the reference to "this generation" at Luke 21:32, Professor Joel B. Green notes: "In the Third Gospel, 'this generation' (and related phrases) has regularly signified a category of people who are resistant to the purpose of God. . . . [It refers] to people who stubbornly turn their backs on the divine purpose."

The wicked generation of Jewish opposers who could observe the sign being fulfilled would also experience the end. (Matthew 24:6, 13, 14) And that they did! In 70 C.E., the Roman army returned, led by Titus, son of Emperor Vespasian. The suffering of the Jews who were again bottled up in the city is almost beyond belief. Eyewitness Flavius Josephus reports that by the time the Romans demolished the city, about 1,100,000 Jews had died and some 100,000 were taken captive, most of those soon to perish horribly from starvation or in Roman theaters. Truly, the tribulation of 66-70 C.E. was the greatest that Jerusalem and the Jewish system had ever experienced or would ever experience. How different the outcome was for Christians who had heeded Jesus' prophetic warning and had left Jerusalem after the departure of the Roman armies in 66 C.E.! The anointed Christian "chosen ones" were "saved," or kept safe, in 70 C.E.-Matthew 24:16, 22.

Another Fulfillment to Come

However, that was not the finale. Earlier, Jesus had indicated that after the city was devastated, he would come in Jehovah's name. (Matthew 23:38, 39; 24:2) He then made this clearer in his prophecy uttered on the Mount of Olives. Having mentioned the coming "great tribulation," he said that afterward false Christs would appear, and Jerusalem would be trampled on by the nations for an extended period. (Matthew 24:21, 23-28; Luke 21:24) Could it be that another, a greater, fulfillment was to come? The facts answer yes. When we compare Revelation 6:2-8 (written after the tribulation on Jerusalem in 70 C.E.) with Matthew 24:6-8 and Luke 21:10, 11, we see that warfare, food shortages, and plague on a greater scale lay ahead. This greater fulfillment of Jesus' words has been occurring since World War I erupted in 1914...

Referring to the tribulation just ahead of us, Jesus said: "Immediately after the tribulation of those days [the destruction of false religion] the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. And then the sign of the Son of man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will beat themselves in lamentation, and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory."-Matthew 24:29, 30.

Hence, Jesus himself says that "after the tribulation of those days," celestial phenomena of some sort will occur. (Compare Joel 2:28-32; 3:15.) This will so startle and shock disobedient humans that they will "beat themselves in lamentation." Many will "become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited earth." But this will not be the case with true Christians! These 'will lift their heads up, because their deliverance is getting near.'-Luke 21:25, 26, 28.

Judgment Ahead!

Note that Matthew 24:29-31 foretells that (1) the Son of man comes, (2) this coming will be with great glory, (3) the angels will be with him, and (4) all the tribes of the earth will see him. Jesus repeats these elements in the parable of the sheep and the goats. (Matthew 25:31-46) Hence, we can conclude that this parable deals with the time, after the opening outbreak of tribulation, when Jesus will come with his angels and sit down on his throne to judge. (John 5:22; Acts 17:31; compare 1 Kings 7:7; Daniel 7:10, 13, 14, 22, 26; Matthew 19:28.) Who will be judged, and with what result? The parable shows that Jesus will give attention to all nations, as if they were assembled right before his celestial throne.

Sheeplike men and women will be separated to Jesus' right side of favor. Why? Because they used their opportunities to do good to his brothers-anointed Christians, who will share in Christ's heavenly Kingdom. (Daniel 7:27; Hebrews 2:9-3:1) In line with the parable, millions of sheeplike Christians have recognized Jesus' spiritual brothers and have been working in support of them. As a result, the "great crowd" have the Bible-based hope of surviving "the great tribulation" and then living forever in Paradise, the earthly realm of God's Kingdom.-Revelation 7:9, 14; 21:3, 4; John 10:16.

What a different outcome there will be for the goats! They are described at Matthew 24:30 as 'beating themselves in lamentation' when Jesus comes. And well they should, for they will have built up a record of rejecting the Kingdom good news, of opposing Jesus' disciples, and of preferring the world that is passing away. (Matthew 10:16-18; 1 John 2:15-17) Jesus-not any of his disciples on earth-determines who the goats are. Of them he says: "These will depart into everlasting cutting-off."-Matthew 25:46.

Our progress in understanding the prophecy in Matthew chapters 24 and 25 has been thrilling. However, there is a part of Jesus' prophecy that merits our further attention-'the disgusting thing that causes desolation standing in a holy place.' Jesus urged his followers to use discernment regarding this and to be ready to take action. (Matthew 24:15, 16) What is this "disgusting thing"? When does it stand in a holy place? And how are our present and future life prospects involved? The following article will discuss this.[source - WT 5/99/1999, page 8-13].

USE OF 'GENERATION' BY JESUS (YESHUA):

Many scriptures confirm that Jesus did not use "generation" with regard to some small or distinct group, meaning only the Jewish leaders or only his loyal disciples. Rather, he used "generation" in condemning the masses of Jews who rejected him. Happily, though, individuals could do what the apostle Peter urged on the day of Pentecost, repent and "get saved from this crooked generation."-Acts 2:40.

In that statement, Peter was clearly not being precise as to any fixed age or length of time, nor was he tying the "generation" to any certain date. He did not say that people should get saved from the generation that was born in the same year Jesus was or the generation that was born in 29 C.E. Peter was speaking about the unbelieving Jews of that period-some perhaps being rather young, others being older-who had been exposed to Jesus' teaching, had seen or heard of his miracles, and had not accepted him as Messiah.

That evidently is how Peter understood Jesus' use of "generation" when he and three other apostles were with Jesus on the Mount of Olives. According to Jesus' prophetic statement, Jews of that period-basically, Jesus' contemporaries-were going to experience or hear of wars, earthquakes, famines, and other evidences that the end of the Jewish system was near. In fact, that generation did not pass before the end came in 70 C.E.-Matthew 24:3-14, 34.

It must be acknowledged that we have not always taken Jesus' words in that sense. There is a tendency for imperfect humans to want to be specific about the date when the end will come. Recall that even the apostles sought more specifics, asking: "Lord, are you restoring the kingdom to Israel at this time?"-Acts 1:6.

In fact,

"Saved From a "Wicked Generation"

"O faithless and twisted generation, how long must I continue with you and put up with you?"-LUKE 9:41.

WE LIVE in calamitous times. Earthquakes, floods, famines, disease, lawlessness, bombings, horrendous warfare-these and more have engulfed mankind during our 20th century. However, the greatest calamity of all threatens in the near future. What is that? It is "great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world's beginning until now, no, nor will occur again." (Matthew 24:21) Yet, many of us may look forward to a joyful future! Why? Because God's own Word describes "a great crowd, which no man was able to number, out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues . . . 'These are the ones that come out of the great tribulation . . . They will hunger no more nor thirst anymore . . . And God will wipe out every tear from their eyes.'"-Revelation 7:1, 9, 14-17.

The inspired record at Matthew 24:3-22, Mark 13:3-20, and Luke 21:7-24 introduces Jesus' prophetic description of "the conclusion of the system of things." This prophecy had an initial fulfillment on the corrupt Jewish system of things of the first century of our Common Era, culminating in an unprecedented "great tribulation" on the Jews. The entire religious and political structure of the Jewish system, centered at Jerusalem's temple, was thrown down, never to be restored.

Let us now consider the circumstances that surrounded the first fulfillment of Jesus' prophecy. This will help us better to understand the parallel fulfillment today. It will show us how urgent it is to take positive action now in order to survive the greatest of tribulations that threatens all mankind.-Romans 10:9-13; 15:4; 1 Corinthians 10:11; 15:58.

"The End"-When?

About the year 539 B.C.E., God's prophet Daniel was given a vision of events that would occur during the final "week" of a period of "seventy weeks" of years. (Daniel 9:24-27) These "weeks" began in 455 B.C.E. when King Artaxerxes of Persia ordered the rebuilding of the city of Jerusalem. The final "week" started with the appearance of Messiah, Jesus Christ, at his baptism and anointing in 29 C.E. God-fearing Jews of the first century C.E. were well aware of this time feature of Daniel's prophecy. For example, concerning the crowds that flocked to hear the preaching of John the Baptizer in 29 C.E., Luke 3:15 states: "The people were in expectation and all were reasoning in their hearts about John: 'May he perhaps be the Christ?'"

The 70th "week" was to be seven years of special favor extended to the Jews. Starting in 29 C.E., it included Jesus' baptism and ministry, his sacrificial death "at the half of the week" in 33 C.E., and another 'half week' until 36 C.E. During this "week," the opportunity to become Jesus' anointed disciples was extended exclusively to God-fearing Jews and Jewish proselytes. Then in 70 C.E., a date not known in advance, the Roman legions under Titus exterminated the apostate Jewish system.-Daniel 9:26, 27.

Thus the Jewish priesthood, which had defiled Jerusalem's temple and conspired in the murder of God's own Son, was wiped out. Gone, too, were the national and tribal records. Thereafter, no Jew could legally claim a priestly or a kingly inheritance. Happily, though, anointed spiritual Jews had been separated as a royal priesthood to "declare abroad the excellencies" of Jehovah God. (1 Peter 2:9) When Rome's army first besieged Jerusalem and even undermined the temple area in 66 C.E., Christians recognized that military force as "the disgusting thing that causes desolation, as spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in a holy place." In obedience to Jesus' prophetic command, the Christians in Jerusalem and Judea fled to the mountainous regions for protection.-Matthew 24:15, 16; Luke 21:20, 21.

Those faithful Jewish Christians observed the fulfillment of Daniel's prophecy and were eyewitnesses of the tragic wars, famines, pestilences, earthquakes, and lawlessness that Jesus had foretold as part of the "sign . . . of the conclusion of the system of things." (Matthew 24:3) But had Jesus told them when Jehovah would actually execute judgment on that corrupt system? No. What he prophesied about the climax of his future royal presence surely applied also to the first-century "great tribulation": "Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father."-Matthew 24:36.
From Daniel's prophecy, the Jews could have calculated the timing of Jesus' appearing as the Messiah. (Daniel 9:25) Yet they were given no date for the "great tribulation" that finally desolated the apostate Jewish system of things. It was only after the destruction of Jerusalem and its temple that they realized that the date was 70 C.E. However, they had been aware of Jesus' prophetic words: "This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur." (Matthew 24:34) Apparently, the application of "generation" here is different from that at Ecclesiastes 1:4, which speaks of successive generations coming and going over a period of time.

"This Generation"-What Is It?

When four apostles seated with Jesus on the Mount of Olives heard his prophecy about "the conclusion of the system of things," how would they understand the expression "this generation"? In the Gospels the word "generation" is translated from the Greek word ge·ne·a´, which current lexicons define in these terms: "Lit[erally] those descended fr[om] a common ancestor." (Walter Bauer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament) "That which has been begotten, a family; . . . successive members of a genealogy . . . or of a race of people . . . or of the whole multitude of men living at the same time, Matt. 24:34; Mark 13:30; Luke 1:48; 21:32; Phil. 2:15, and especially of those of the Jewish race living at the same period." (W. E. Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words) "That which has been begotten, men of the same stock, a family; . . . the whole multitude of men living at the same time: Mt. xxiv. 34; Mk. xiii. 30; Lk. i. 48 . . . used esp[ecially] of the Jewish race living at one and the same period."-J. H. Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament.

Vine and Thayer both cite Matthew 24:34 in defining "this generation" (he ge·ne·a´ hau´te) as "the whole multitude of men living at the same time." The Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (1964) gives support to this definition, stating: "The use of 'generation' by Jesus expresses his comprehensive purpose: he aims at the whole people and is conscious of their solidarity in sin." Truly a "solidarity in sin" was apparent in the Jewish nation when Jesus was on earth, just as it marks the world system today.

Of course, Christians studying this matter guide their thinking primarily by how Jesus used the Greek expression he ge·ne·a´ hau´te, or "this generation." He used it consistently in a negative way. Thus, he called the Jewish religious leaders "serpents, offspring of vipers" and went on to say that the judgment of Gehenna would be executed on "this generation." (Matthew 23:33, 36) However, was this judgment limited to the hypocritical clergy? Not at all. On a number of occasions, Jesus' disciples heard him speak of "this generation," applying the term uniformly in a far wider sense. What was that?

"This Wicked Generation"

In 31 C.E., during Jesus' great Galilean ministry and shortly after the Passover, his disciples heard him say to "the crowds": "With whom shall I compare this generation? It is like young children sitting in the marketplaces who cry out to their playmates, saying, 'We played the flute for you, but you did not dance; we wailed, but you did not beat yourselves in grief.' Correspondingly, John [the Baptizer] came neither eating nor drinking, yet people say, 'He has a demon'; the Son of man [Jesus] did come eating and drinking, still people say, 'Look! A man gluttonous and given to drinking wine, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.'" There was no pleasing those unprincipled "crowds"!-Matthew 11:7, 16-19.

Later in 31 C.E., as Jesus and his disciples set out on their second preaching tour of Galilee, "some of the scribes and Pharisees" asked Jesus for a sign. He told them and "the crowds" who were present: "A wicked and adulterous generation keeps on seeking for a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign of Jonah the prophet. For just as Jonah was in the belly of the huge fish three days and three nights, so the Son of man will be in the heart of the earth three days and three nights. . . . That is how it will be also with this wicked generation." (Matthew 12:38-46) Obviously, "this wicked generation" included both the religious leaders and "the crowds" who never came to appreciate the sign that was fulfilled in Jesus' death and resurrection.

After the Passover of 32 C.E., as Jesus and his disciples came into the Galilean region of Magadan, the Sadducees and the Pharisees again asked Jesus for a sign. He repeated to them: "A wicked and adulterous generation keeps on seeking for a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign of Jonah." (Matthew 16:1-4) Those religious hypocrites were indeed most reprehensible as leaders among the unfaithful "crowds" whom Jesus condemned as "this wicked generation."

Toward the end of his Galilean ministry, Jesus called the crowd and his disciples to him and said: "Whoever becomes ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of man will also be ashamed of him." (Mark 8:34, 38 So the masses of unrepentant Jews of that time obviously made up "this adulterous and sinful generation." Some days later, after Jesus' transfiguration, Jesus and his disciples "came toward the crowd," and a man asked him to heal his son. Jesus commented: "O faithless and twisted generation, how long must I continue with you? How long must I put up with you?"-Matthew 17:14-17; Luke 9:37-41.

It was likely in Judea, after the Festival of Booths in 32 C.E., "when the crowds were massing together" around Jesus, that he repeated his condemnation of them, saying: "This generation is a wicked generation; it looks for a sign. But no sign will be given it except the sign of Jonah." (Luke 11:29) Finally, when the religious leaders brought Jesus to trial, Pilate offered to release him. The record says: "The chief priests and the older men persuaded the crowds to ask for Barabbas, but to have Jesus destroyed. . . . Pilate said to them: 'What, then, shall I do with Jesus the so-called Christ?' They all said: 'Let him be impaled!' He said: 'Why, what bad thing did he do?' Still they kept crying out all the more: 'Let him be impaled!'" That "wicked generation" was demanding Jesus' blood!-Matthew 27:20-25.

A "faithless and twisted generation," egged on by its religious leaders, thus played a key part in bringing about the death of the Lord Jesus Christ. Fifty days later, at Pentecost in 33 C.E., the disciples received holy spirit and started to speak in different tongues. Upon hearing the sound, "the multitude came together," and the apostle Peter addressed them as "men of Judea and all you inhabitants of Jerusalem," saying: "This man [Jesus] . . . you fastened to a stake by the hand of lawless men and did away with." How did some of those listeners react? "They were stabbed to the heart." Peter then called on them to repent. He "bore thorough witness and kept exhorting them, saying: 'Get saved from this crooked generation.'" In response, about three thousand "embraced his word heartily [and] were baptized."-Acts 2:6, 14, 23, 37, 40, 41.

"This Generation" Identified.

What, then, is the "generation" so frequently referred to by Jesus in the presence of his disciples? What did they understand by his words: "This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur"? Surely, Jesus was not departing from his established use of the term "this generation," which he consistently applied to the contemporary masses with their "blind guides" who together made up the Jewish nation. (Matthew 15:14) "This generation" experienced all the distress foretold by Jesus and then passed away in an unequaled "great tribulation" on Jerusalem.-Matthew 24:21, 34.

In the first century, Jehovah was judging the Jewish people. Repentant ones, who came to exercise faith in Jehovah's merciful provision through Christ, were saved out of that "great tribulation." True to Jesus' words, all things prophesied occurred, and then the "heaven and earth" of the Jewish system of things-the entire nation, with its religious leaders and wicked society of people-passed away. Jehovah had executed judgment!-Matthew 24:35; compare 2 Peter 3:7.

Those Jews who had paid attention to Jesus' prophetic words realized that their salvation depended, not on trying to calculate the length of a "generation" or of some dated "times or seasons," but on keeping separate from the evil contemporary generation and zealously doing God's will. Though the final words of Jesus' prophecy apply to the major fulfillment in our day, first-century Jewish Christians also had to heed the admonition: "Keep awake, then, all the time making supplication that you may succeed in escaping all these things that are destined to occur, and in standing before the Son of man."-Luke 21:32-36; Acts 1:6-8.

Today, "the great day of Jehovah . . . is near, and there is a hurrying of it very much." (Zephaniah 1:14-18; Isaiah 13:9, 13) Suddenly, at Jehovah's own predetermined "day and hour," his fury will be unleashed upon the world's religious, political, and commercial elements, together with the wayward people who make up this contemporary "wicked and adulterous generation." (Matthew 12:39; 24:36; Revelation 7:1-3, 9, 14) How may you get saved out of "the great tribulation"? [source - WT 11/1/95, pages 10-15]

THE FACTS ON MATTHEW 10:23:

Matthew 10:23, " But when they persecute you in this city, flee into the next: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone through the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come." (ASV).

Now, "What is the meaning of the following statement, recorded at Matthew 10:23: "You will by no means complete the circuit of the cities of Israel until the Son of man arrives"?
Jesus said that in the year 31 (A.D.). This was when he was sending out his twelve apostles, in twos, to preach in all the cities of Israel. It may have been, as in the case of the seventy evangelizers whom Jesus also sent out to preach, that the apostles were sent in advance of Jesus and that Jesus would later come to the places where they had preached. (Luke 10:1) This, however, does not appear to be the thing referred to by Jesus in Matthew 10:23, namely, that he would personally, in the flesh, follow up his twelve apostles in the cities in which they had preached.

It is evident that when Jesus gave his twelve apostles these preaching instructions, he was doing so for the years that would follow his death, resurrection and ascension to heaven, never to come back again to the earth in the flesh. How is this evident? From the fact that Jesus spoke to the apostles about their being mistreated in the synagogues and being haled before governors and kings "for a witness to them and the nations." (Matt. 10:17, 18 There is no record that such things occurred during the short preaching campaign in which the apostles engaged in Israel exclusively, after which they returned to Jesus and made their reports. At the time that Jesus gave them the above instructions, he plainly told them not to go to the nations or even to the Samaritans on this preaching campaign, but only to the "lost sheep of the house of Israel."-Matt. 10:5, 6.

So it must have been because he looked ahead to their world-wide preaching among outside nations after his ascension to heaven that Jesus said to the apostles: "You will be objects of hatred by all people [not merely Israelites] on account of my name; but he that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved. When they persecute you in one city, flee to another; for truly I say to you, You will by no means complete the circuit of the cities of Israel until the Son of man arrives."-Matt. 10:22, 23.

TO BE CONTINUED IN VOL. 16B - PART 3

6/15/2019 1:48 pm  #2190

COMBINATION OF [1]THE SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY AND [2] CONTINUATION OF WHEN GOD'S (YHWH'S) KINGDOM STARTS RULLING. PART 3 OF 4  With the Scripture of the Day first.

[1] SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY [VOL. 16B]

For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:  Romans 1:20,  [authorized King James Bible; AV]

Yes, Almighty God (YHWH) is the Creator of all that there is, but many fail to give him the honour and glory that is uue.  This is vividly stated at Revelation 4:11, [AV] “Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.”  These foolish ones who fail to recognize this reality will shortly pay for their foolishness as revealed at Psalms 5:4 – 6, [AV] “For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee.  5  The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.  6  Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the LORD will abhor the bloody and deceitful man.” 

[2]  CONTINUATION OF When God's (YHWH's) Kingdom Starts Rulling: PART 3 OF 4

On the occasion of saying those words, Jesus gave the apostles, for the immediate preaching campaign, a local territory assignment. It took in the territory of Israel in Palestine, namely, Judea, Galilee and Peraea, and did not include Samaria. By covering this they would "complete the circuit of the cities of Israel." So now Jesus used this temporary, limited territory assignment as an illustration of their final complete territory assignment. Before he ascended to heaven the resurrected Jesus made their territory assignment the entire world, for he said: "All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth. Go therefore [everywhere in the earth] and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit." (Matt. 28:18, 19) This enlarged their territory assignment beyond the borders of Israel, yes, beyond the borders of so-called Christendom and out into the so-called pagan world that does not belong to Christendom. Under Jesus' instructions, his disciples were to undertake to complete the circuit of the whole inhabited earth, preaching the good news of God's kingdom to all, to Jewish people, to professed Christian people and to all the pagan peoples.

By our consideration of Bible prophecy and modern events we discern that the Lord Jesus Christ, in company with Jehovah God, came to the spiritual temple in the spring of 1918. It was after that year, particularly from 1919 forward, that the remnant of Christ's anointed disciples began preaching the good news of God's kingdom as having been established in the heavens in 1914. How long after the Lord's coming to the temple must this preaching continue? Until the "Son of man arrives" for the execution of Jehovah's judgment. This will be in the "war of the great day of God the Almighty," at Armageddon. In connection with that arrival Jesus said, in Revelation 16:15: "Look! I am coming as a thief. Happy is the one that stays awake and keeps his outer garments, that he may not walk naked and people look upon his shamefulness."

Accordingly, by means of his instructions to his twelve apostles Jesus was prophetically telling us today that his anointed disciples or the remnant of spiritual Israel would not complete the circuit of the entire inhabited earth with the preaching of the message of God's established kingdom before the glorified heavenly King Jesus Christ would arrive as Jehovah's executional officer in the battle of Armageddon. This means that Jehovah's servants today, who now include hundreds of thousands of the "other sheep" or earthly companions of the spiritual remnant, will not be able to reach personally all parts of the earth with the Kingdom message before the battle of Armageddon breaks out. [source - WT 06/15/1907, page 184.]

THE FACTS ON MATTHEW 26:64:

Matthew 26:64 says, "Jesus said unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Henceforth ye shall see the Son of man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven." (ASV).

"What is "the sign of the Son of man"?

However, there is evidently another major reason for Jesus' frequent use of the expression "Son of man" as applying to himself. This is with regard to the fulfillment of the prophecy recorded at Daniel 7:13, 14. In vision, Daniel saw "someone like a son of man" coming with the clouds of the heavens, gaining access to "the Ancient of Days," and being granted "rulership and dignity and kingdom, that the peoples, national groups and languages should all serve even him," his Kingdom being an enduring one.

Because the angelic interpretation of the vision in Daniel 7:18, 22, and 27 speaks of "the holy ones of the Supreme One" as taking possession of this Kingdom, many commentators have endeavored to show that the "son of man" is here a 'corporate personality,' that is, 'the saints of God in their corporate aspect, regarded collectively as a people,' 'the glorified and ideal people of Israel.' This reasoning, however, proves superficial in the light of the Christian Greek Scriptures. It fails to consider that Christ Jesus, God's anointed King, made a 'covenant for a kingdom' with his followers that they might share with him in his Kingdom, and that, while they are to rule as kings and priests, it is under his headship and by his grant of authority. (Lu 22:28-30; Re 5:9, 10; 20:4-6) Thus, they receive ruling authority over the nations only because he has first received such authority from the Sovereign God.-Re 2:26, 27; 3:21.

The correct understanding is made more evident by Jesus' own statements. Regarding "the sign of the Son of man," he stated that "they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory." (Mt 24:30) This was clearly a reference to Daniel's prophecy. So, likewise, was his answer to the high priest's interrogation, saying: "I am [the Christ, the Son of God]; and you persons will see the Son of man sitting at the right hand of power and coming with the clouds of heaven."-Mr 14:61, 62; Mt 26:63, 64.
Therefore the prophecy of the coming of the Son of man into the presence of the Ancient of Days, Jehovah God, clearly applies to an individual, the Messiah, Jesus Christ. The evidence is that it was so understood by the Jewish people. Rabbinic writings applied the prophecy to the Messiah. (Soncino Books of the Bible, edited by A. Cohen, 1951, commentary on Da 7:13) It was doubtless due to wanting some literal fulfillment of this prophecy that the Pharisees and Sadducees asked Jesus to "display to them a sign from heaven." (Mt 16:1; Mr 8:11) After Jesus had died as a man and had been resurrected to spirit life, Stephen had a vision in which "the heavens opened up" and he saw "the Son of man standing at God's right hand." (Ac 7:56) This shows that Jesus Christ, although sacrificing his human nature as a ransom for mankind, rightly retains the Messianic designation "Son of man" in his heavenly position.

The first part of Jesus' statement to the high priest about the coming of the Son of man spoke of him as "sitting
sitting at the right hand of power." This is evidently an allusion to the prophetic Psalm 110, Jesus Christ having earlier shown that this psalm applied to him. (Mt 22:42-45) This psalm, as well as the apostle's application of it at Hebrews 10:12, 13, reveals that there would be a waiting period for Jesus Christ before his Father would send him forth to "go subduing in the midst of [his] enemies." It therefore appears that the fulfillment of the prophecy of Daniel 7:13, 14 comes, not at the time of Jesus' resurrection and ascension to heaven, but at the time of his being authorized by God to take action against all opposers in vigorous expression of his kingly authority. The 'coming of the Son of man to the Ancient of Days,' then, apparently corresponds in time to the situation presented at Revelation 12:5-10, when the symbolic man-child is brought forth and caught up to God's throne. Then war breaks out in heaven, and the cry goes up: "Now have come to pass the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ."
Further prophetic visions in Revelation (17:12-14; 19:11-21) show the exercise of full regnal power by the Messianic King over "peoples, national groups and languages" (Da 7:14), and hence the one "like a son of man" at Revelation 14:14 undoubtedly also represents Jesus Christ, as does the one so described at Revelation 1:13.-Compare Re 14:14-20; 19:15; and 1:13-18; see KINGDOM OF GOD ("Kingdom of Our Lord and of His Christ").

As to the 'Son of man's coming on the clouds' and being seen by "every eye" (Mt 24:30; Re 1:7), see CLOUD (Illustrative Usage); EYE; PRESENCE. [source - Son of Man, page 1002-1003].

And,

"Shortly before his death, Jesus told the Jewish religious leaders: "From henceforth you will see the Son of man sitting at the right hand of power and coming on the clouds of heaven." (Matt. 26:64) What did Jesus mean by this?
He was referring to the Bible prophecy of Daniel about the promised "son of man" who was brought before "the Ancient of Days," Jehovah God. "To him there were given rulership and dignity and kingdom," the prophecy says, "that the peoples, national groups and languages should all serve even him." (Dan. 7:13, 14) This shows that the resurrected Jesus Christ would rule in heaven, and that the whole earth will be the territory over which he exercises authority as king.

But since God's kingdom is heavenly-its ruler Jesus Christ now being invisible-many persons do not consider it to be a real government. Yet, as we have seen, there is sound reason to believe that it is. [source - WT 01/15/1979, pages 4-5]

THE FACTS ON 1 CORINTHIANS 10:11:

1 Corinthians 10:11, "Now these things happened unto them by way of example; and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come." (ASV).

"Completion of the Foretold "Sign" Nears

WE TODAY can be thankful that the apostles of Jesus Christ asked him the question: "Tell us, When will these things be, and what will be the sign of your presence and of the conclusion of the system of things?" (Matthew 24:3) Their question led to his giving a lengthy, detailed prophecy the accuracy of which leaves us amazed as we see the progress of its fulfillment in this eventful twentieth century. This aids us in determining with certainty where we are in the outworking of God's purpose toward suffering mankind. We are strengthened in our belief that we are actually living during the invisible "presence" of Christ in the spirit and in the "conclusion of the system of things," inasmuch as we do see "the sign" that he foretold.
The "sign" in all its details is nearing its stage of complete clarity with no room for any watching observers to be mistaken. The "sign" has many features, as set out in Matthew's account, chapters twenty-four and twenty-five, Mark's account, chapter thirteen, and Luke's account, chapter twenty-one; and it has been almost the lifetime of a generation of mankind for all the features of the "sign" to become manifest in their fullness. In preceding chapters we have considered those features of the sign as described in Matthew's account, chapter twenty-five. Now we consider those features set out in chapter twenty-four, along with the comparative accounts given by Mark and Luke.

When Christ's apostles opened up their inquiry by saying, "Tell us, When will these things be?" they were referring to the things that Jesus had said prophetically that same day of Tuesday, Nisan 11, of the year 33 C.E. In Jerusalem's temple, after denouncing the hypocritical religious scribes and Pharisees, Jesus went on to say: "Here I am sending forth to you prophets and wise men and public instructors. Some of them you will kill and impale, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city; that there may come upon you all the righteous blood spilled on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Barachiah, whom you murdered between the sanctuary and the altar. Truly I say to you, All these things will come upon this generation. Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the killer of the prophets and stoner of those sent forth to her,-how often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks together under her wings! But you people did not want it. Look! Your house is abandoned to you. For I say to you, You will by no means see me from henceforth until you say, 'Blessed is he that comes in Jehovah's name!'"

Before Jesus left the temple or house of worship, he added further words of solemn prophecy, concerning which we read: "Departing now, Jesus was on his way from the temple, but his disciples approached to show him the buildings of the temple. In response he said to them: 'Do you not behold all these things? Truly I say to you, By no means will a stone be left here upon a stone and not be thrown down.'"-Matthew 23:34 to 24:2.

Just two days previously, on Sunday, Nisan 9, he had paused in his triumphal ride toward Jerusalem and wept over her because of her coming destruction. Predicting her terrible destruction by the Romans in 70 C.E., he said: "Because the days will come upon you when your enemies will build around you a fortification with pointed stakes and will encircle you and distress you from every side, and they will dash you and your children within you to the ground, and they will not leave a stone upon a stone in you, because you did not discern the time of your being inspected."-Luke 19:41-44.

For natural, circumcised Jews, such as Christ's apostles were, those were disturbing predictions. Upon the generation of which they were a part, the innocent blood spilled in the course of Jewish history and earlier was to be visited. Exactly when would these things be fulfilled? They wanted to know. They believed and confessed Jesus to be the Messiah or Anointed One, the Christ. But Jerusalem's predicted destruction indicated that he would not set up his Messianic kingdom in that doomed city. He spoke of his not being seen "from henceforth," but also of his coming "in Jehovah's name." When would he be present again to carry out his Messianic role? The coming destruction of Jerusalem and her temple must certainly spell the end of the Jewish system of things. With no holy city and no holy temple the Jewish priesthood of the family of Aaron the Levite might be among those of Jerusalem's "children" who would be dashed "to the ground" or would at least be put out of their temple service. No wonder the apostles asked, not only about the destruction of Jerusalem and her temple, but also: "What will be the sign of your presence and of the conclusion of the system of things?"

Their questions were on proper points of inquiry, for Jesus did come in the "conclusion" of the Jewish system of things. Other scriptures speak of the situation in that same sense. Hebrews 9:26-28 shows that Jesus did not need to make repeated sacrifices of himself and says: "Otherwise, he would have to suffer often from the founding of the world. But now he has manifested himself once for all time at the conclusion of the systems of things to put sin away through the sacrifice of himself. . . . so also the Christ was offered once for all time to bear the sins of many." Also, 1 Corinthians 10:11 says: "Now these things went on befalling them as examples, and they were written for a warning to us upon whom the ends of the systems of things have arrived." Counted from the year of Jesus' prophecy on the subject, the Jewish system of things had thirty-seven years yet to go, less than a generation with a life-span of forty years. Jerusalem was taken and destroyed by the Romans on Elul 7 (or, August 30, 70 C.E., Gregorian calendar time). How many of Christ's apostles escaped martyrdom and survived till that horrible event, the Bible record does not say.

A TIME OF TESTING AND DISASTERS

In answer to the inquiry of his apostles, Jesus described first the events leading up to the destruction of Jerusalem within that generation. "And in answer Jesus said to them: 'Look out that nobody misleads you; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, "I am the Christ," and will mislead many. You are going to hear of wars and reports of wars; see that you are not terrified. For these things must take place, but the end is not yet.'"-Matthew 24:4-6.

Jews would arise, not claiming to be Jesus returned in the flesh, but claiming to be the promised Messiah or Christ. But neither the apostles nor their fellow disciples should be misled by such self-styled Messiahs or Christs, for their operations would not betoken the "presence" or parousia of Jesus Christ nor bring deliverance to the Jewish nation. The Jewish revolt against the Romans in the year 66 C.E. was to be such a Messianic effort, but it led to Jerusalem's destruction and the scattering of the Jewish nation. The Messianic hopes of these misled people were bitterly disappointed.
During this thirty-seven-year period there were to be a number of wars, within earshot of the disciples or merely reported to them in the news. But those wars, while affecting the situation of the Jewish nation, were not the ones that directly brought on the end of the Jewish system of things. So the disciples were not to be terrorized into taking any premature action. "The end is not yet."

"For," said Jesus in enlarging upon what he had just said about wars and reports of war, "nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another. All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress."-Matthew 24:7, 8. Also, Mark 13:8.
Such calamities being merely a "beginning of pangs of distress," the end was "not yet." Those calamities were merely indications, not the final death throe. These things would affect the people in general, but there were things that would come specifically upon Jesus' disciples because they announced the true Messiah or Christ and followed in his footsteps. Hence, Jesus went on to say:

"Then people will deliver you up to tribulation and will kill you, and you will be objects of hatred by all the nations on account of my name. Then, also, many will be stumbled and will betray one another and will hate one another. And many false prophets will arise and mislead many; and because of the increasing of lawlessness the love of the greater number will cool off. But he that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved. And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come."-Matthew 24:9-14. Compare Mark 13:9-13.

The Bible book entitled "Acts of Apostles" testifies to the fulfillment of those prophetic words of Jesus Christ even within that generation, for this book was written by the medical doctor Luke about the year 61 C.E. Other Bible books, inspired letters written by apostles and other disciples before the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 C.E., confirm the account in Acts of Apostles and add to the record of Christian suffering under persecution and international hatred toward Christianity. The good news of God's kingdom had penetrated beyond the Middle East into Asia Minor, Continental Asia, Africa, Europe and the islands of the Mediterranean Sea. The preaching of the Kingdom message was being carried on in all the inhabited earth. Although not resulting in world conversion to Christianity, a thing it was never purposed to accomplish, it resulted in a witness to all the nations. (Colossians 1:6, 23) Before this praiseworthy exploit was accomplished by outspoken Christian witnesses, the calamitous end could not come upon Jerusalem and the Jewish system of things.

JERUSALEM'S SECOND DESTRUCTION INDICATED AS AT HAND

Having shown in considerable detail the preliminaries that were to precede "the end," Jesus now specified the particular thing that would indicate the close nearness of the end of Jerusalem and the system of things that was centered in her and her temple. He said: "Therefore, when you catch sight of the disgusting thing that causes desolation, as spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in a holy place, (let the reader use discernment,) then let those in Judea begin fleeing to the mountains. Let the man on the housetop not come down to take the goods out of his house; and let the man in the field not return to the house to pick up his outer garment. Woe to the pregnant women and those suckling a baby in those days! Keep praying that your flight may not occur in wintertime, nor on the sabbath day."

Why the great need for the Christian Jews and proselytes in the Roman province of Judea to get out of it at top speed, with no unnecessary burdens, by direct route, at the opportune time, and take refuge in the mountains outside the mentioned province? "For then," Jesus continues on to say, "there will be great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world's beginning until now, no, nor will occur again. In fact, unless those days were cut short, no flesh would be saved; but on account of the chosen ones those days will be cut short."-Matthew 24:15-22.

This counsel of Jesus the apostles and other disciples should not forget nor disregard. If any of them delayed their flight out of Judea after seeing the disgusting thing standing in a holy place, it might cost them their lives; they might not be among those comparatively few who are spoken of as "flesh" that is saved only because the days of tribulation are cut short. But what is the "disgusting thing" the sight of which standing in the holy place would certify that not much time was left now before the devastating "great tribulation" was right at hand?

Jesus left no doubt as to what it was. He said it was the disgusting thing "as spoken of through Daniel the prophet." (Matthew 24:15) The "disgusting thing" that is foretold by the prophet Daniel in connection with the second destruction of Jerusalem is the one described in Daniel 9:26, 27 (especially according to the Greek Septuagint Version of the Hebrew Bible text). Secular history reveals that "disgusting thing" to be the pagan Roman armies under their "leader." That this is the proper explanation of the prophecy is borne out by a comparison of Matthew's account of Jesus' prophecy at this place with Luke's account at the corresponding place in Jesus' prophecy. Luke 21:20-24 says:

"Furthermore, when you see Jerusalem surrounded by encamped armies, then know that the desolating of her has drawn near. Then let those in Judea begin fleeing to the mountains, and let those in the midst of her withdraw, and let those in the country places not enter into her; because these are days for meting out justice [or, days of vengeance], that all the things written [including Daniel 9:26, 27] may be fulfilled. Woe to the pregnant women and the ones suckling a baby in those days! For there will be great necessity upon the land and wrath on this people; and they will fall by the edge of the sword and be led captive into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled on by the nations, until the appointed times of the nations are fulfilled."-Compare also with Mark 13:14-20.

It was in the year 66 C.E. that the Christian Jews in Jerusalem and Judea began to see the "disgusting thing that causes desolation, as spoken of through Daniel the prophet," take a stand in a "holy place," namely, Jerusalem and its environs. It was in that year that the unchristianized Jews revolted with Messianic aspirations against further rule by the Roman Empire. In reaction to this, the Roman general, Cestius Gallus, came down from Syria and surrounded Jerusalem with "encamped armies." It was at the time that the Jews celebrated the Festival of Booths (or, Tabernacles) from Tishri 15 to 21, which in that year should have run for the seven days of October 22-28 (Gregorian calendar). General Cestius Gallus brought his armies up to within "fifty furlongs" of the celebrating city. The Jews, well armed, sallied forth in attack and inflicted some damage on the Romans.

There now followed a "wait for three days." Then General Gallus, forcing the Jews back to Jerusalem, brought his troops up close to the city. But it was first on the last day of the month Tishri (about November 5) that he got his troops into the city of Jerusalem. He was indeed now in a place considered "holy" to the Jews. For five days the Romans made an attack on the temple wall, and on the sixth day they undermined the wall. This certainly was an assailing of what the Jews considered most holy. Easily the Romans could have now captured the whole city, but then, suddenly, without any valid reason for doing so, General Gallus withdrew from the city and retreated. The elated Jews went in hot pursuit and harassed the retreating Romans and inflicted considerable harm, so that the retreat turned into a rout. This was a stinging blow at the pride of the world-conquering Romans. Jerusalem was liberated! And in commemoration the Jews coined some new silver shekels bearing on one side the inscription "Jerusalem the Holy."

SEE PART 4 OF 4 AT 17B

Board footera